[sci.virtual-worlds] Getting an RS232 box

gbnewby@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gregory B. Newby) (03/11/91)

In article <17996@milton.u.washington.edu> b5576879@rick.cs.ubc.ca
(barry douglas ferg) writes:

>This message is for Greg Newby, of the School of Information Studies
> (...)

>[It's of general interest, too. -- Bob Jacobson]

I think this is of general interest...  First is a response to why
Barry is having trouble, and second is a description of how I got the
stuff here at Syracuse U.  A followup post includes a proposal I
wrote for VR at Syracuse U.

Please skip to about line 93 for a caution about acting on the information
in this post (if you're not reading the whole thing).  Thanks.

>I read your message on sci.virtual-worlds of 5 Mar 91, and was both
>surprised and amazed that you had managed to aquire a PowerGlove serial
>interface box.
> (...)

>So how did you do it?  I'd really like to hear from you [among others,
>most probably].  Even though the term is almost over, we'd still like to
>do some further development on our project.

Wow, Barry....  I didn't realize at all that AGE and VPL were making
it difficult to get the stuff.  However, maybe you are right:  it's
very likely that they are concerned about people reverse-engineering
the box, and are being restrictive about who gets it.

The reason for concern is that the raw signals the PowerGlove sends
out are their most crucial secret.  Once someone figures out what the
encoded data the glove generates is, anyone can build a PowerGlove.  I
guess the key is to generate a signal that Nintendo expects.  (Where
the BYTE information fits into this I don't know...  is part of
the secret already out of the bag?)

The box takes the encoded data from the glove and decodes it,
producing a stream of 9 bytes which is generated 30 frames per second.
This signal is not for Nintendo: it's for programmers using a serial
port for input.  The packet I have says that the information on the
data that comes out of the box is "confidential," although it would
also be useless without the box anyway.  I can tell you that the data
is for the X, Y, and Z glove position, flex of thumb and first three
fingers, rotation angle of the glove and signals from the transceivers
(mounted on the monitor).

The outdated list I have includes about 30 schools and businesses that
have received at least a glove, and presumably a box, through AGE's
coooperative education program.  My advice, for what it's worth,
would be to get someone official in your department or school to
contact AGE about joining the program.  A previous post includes
their US-Mail address.

Presumably, getting the box involves some sort of non-disclosure
arrangement (as a matter of fact, I'm sure it does).  You're not
allowed to reverse-engineer the box, or pass it on to other
institutions, or make profits from whatever is developed using the
equipment (without a contract to do so).

Part 2:  How we got it at Syracuse U:

Fairly simple:  the inventor of the PowerGlove is an SU graduate.
He's the co-partner in AGE.  So, he's interested in getting some
VR equipment and projects going at SU.

I got involved because my dissertation involves spatial representation
for information retrieval (imagine wandering through your library's
card catalogue, and reaching out and grabbing the information you
want...).

I wanted to get the glove (pref. a dataglove) and some eyephones for
the dissertation prototype system.  A proposal was in the works
to get some equip here on a loaner program, but one year (1990)
passed with no equipment, except for the PG and interface box
that the AGE guy had left up here in January 1990.  I wrote
my own proposal in January 1991, and things got rolling again.

Finally, last week, I got my hands on that box.  It had been
sitting in storage, and was victim of beaurocracy.  We hope to
have other equip up here within the month, but who knows?  I'm
not sure what we'll get.  In any event, most of it will be a
direct contribution from the SU grad at AGE -- so this path
probably won't be an option for most other places.

Note that the reason we can do this is because Syracuse U. already
has the necessary computational equipment, and all we need is the
VR stuff.

A followup post is a _proposal_ I wrote that finally got people
off their butts and working on the VR thing.  I managed to
create a semi-competitive environment, where several players
were all interested in controlling the equipment.  My hope is
to be the "VR contact" for the summer - I hope to have a real
job and a real PhD for the fall semester.

That's the story...  I don't think I can provide a whole lot of
information about AGE, without making them feel that I'm violating
whatever agreement they have w/ SU...  Like I said previously, they're
a small company.  So, please don't dial up and say, "Well, Greg Newby
says ...."  (mentioning sci.virtual-worlds would be fine, I suspect).

One final tidbit:  AGE is interested in getting output from their
contributions.  So, part of the coop. education program involves
some sort of commitment that whoever gets them will have at least
a partial mind towards developing marketable prototypes and ideas.

-- Greg Newby
   School of Information Studies
   Syracuse University
gbnewby@rodan.acs.syr.edu               gbnewby@sunrise.bitnet
                "Curiouser and curiouser"  - Alice

BTW, Barry -- did you try the addresses above to reply to me?

nagle@uunet.UU.NET (John Nagle) (03/13/91)

     What happened to "Gold Brick", the general-purpose device for interfacing
Nitendo peripherals to the Apple Desktop Bus?

                                        John Nagle

wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) (03/16/91)

decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!nagle@uunet.UU.NET (John Nagle) writes:

>     What happened to "Gold Brick", the general-purpose device for interfacing
>Nitendo peripherals to the Apple Desktop Bus?

It lives.  "Gold Brick (tm) The Cyberspace Interface (tm)" to quote the
flyer.

I saw a demo at Arisia, a Boston-area science fiction
convention.  It accepts 3D or tilt inputs from the Broderbund UFORCE,
Nintendo Power Pad (floor pad), Enteractive Roll&Rocker, and the
Mattel Power Glove.  They supply software to translate controller
input into motion & keystrokes on the Apple Desktop Bus (MAC SE etc
and Apple ][GS).  They expect to provide RS232 and other interfaces
eventually.  They also provide an open interface for adding your own
slave or master devices using standard hardware interfaces.

Address:

Transfinite Systems Company, Inc.,
PO Box N, MIT Branch PO, Cambridge MA 02139
+1 617-969-9570

Disclaimers: Most capitalized words above are claimed as Trademark by
someone.  I am a social acquaintance of a/the principal of Transfinite,
but have no business relationship.  My nephew used the glove connection at
the demo and was Awesumly Impressed.  I have yet to get get these people
talking with our sensor people, so I have not business relationship (yet).
--
/bill ricker/
wdr@wang.com a/k/a wricker@northeastern.edu