[sci.virtual-worlds] VR on a CM or other Parallel Machine

darken@eesun.gwu.edu (Rudolph Darken) (03/16/91)

I was just wondering what sort of work has been done in VR
on a parallel machine. How 'parallelizeable' is it? Would
a massively parallel machine like the CM offer any added
speed that would  (or could) significantly improve a VR
environment?

Rudy Darken
darken@seas.gwu.edu

dormer@cs.purdue.edu (John Dormer) (03/18/91)

In article <18543@milton.u.washington.edu> darken@eesun.gwu.edu (Rudolph Darken)
 writes:

> Would a massively parallel machine like the CM offer any added
>speed that would  (or could) significantly improve a VR environment?
>
>Rudy Darken
>darken@seas.gwu.edu

  And for another question, has anyone played with getting more information
out of such machines? They are quite excellent numeric devices, but I have
seen examples of high-bandwidth requiring programs which die because they
can't get to the external hardware as quickly (reading data files from a
harddrive). With all those CPUs, certainly some of them could be made into
IO processors (or told to be IO processors). I don't know enough about the
CM hardware...perhaps one of you does?

        John Dormer
        dormer@medusa.cs.purdue.edu