[net.space] Spacecraft emissions

MCGRATH@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU ("Jim McGrath") (01/03/86)

Staring in Space Digest, Volume 6 : Issue 58:

> From: Paul Dietz <dietz%slb-doll.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
> Has anyone ever thought about the environmental impact that an
> air-breathing x-atmos vehicle is likely to cause? ... we can wind up
> with lots more nitrous oxide, nitric oxide, nitric acid,.. What
> happens? We... reduce the ozone layer...

I think it is fairly clear from other submission that this is the only
real concern - the others seem to have been disposed of convincingly.

> From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL@mit-mc.arpa>
> This harks back to the anti-SST argument concerning NOx emissions
> destroying the ozonosphere (which was vastly overblown).

I agree - it is almost exactly the same argument.  Since the
scientific community has spent a huge amount of effort studying the
upper atmosphere and devising various models of chemical
transformations, the precise answer should be relatively easy to
obtain.  As I remember the latest reports on such research, the ozone
layer is much more resilent that originally thought, so that there
should be little difficulty.

Moreover, existing SSTs are polluting the air far more than any space
transportation system envisioned possibly could (exhausts weighted by
frequency of flights).  Clearly we are not suffering from ill effects
(or they would have been reported by this time).

> From: ucdavis!lll-crg!seismo!hao!ames!eugene@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
> (Eugene Miya)
> I think you raise a valid point and the Office of Technological
> Accessment (OTA) should probably start such a study. ...  Linking
> this to SST hysteria (both pro and con) would do this no end of harm.

First, I see no reason not to use previous relevant research.  Second,
given that the OTA seems to hate anything with the work "space" in it,
I would strongly oppose getting them involved.

> One must not be blinded by technological wonders.

Nor by rabid environmentalism.  It is this type of "problem making"
that gives environmentalists (as opposed to conservationists) such a
bad name.  The space program is already suffering from inertia and
lack of political support.  While it is only prudent to take
reasonable steps to minimize environmental impacts, it is silly to
make a federal case (literally) out of something with such a low
probability of being a fatal defect and such a high probability of
being used to try and derail or delay any work on these programs for
the indefinite future.

Jim
-------

al@vger.UUCP ( Informatix) (01/07/86)

> Since the
> scientific community has spent a huge amount of effort studying the
> upper atmosphere and devising various models of chemical
> transformations, the precise answer should be relatively easy to
> obtain.

You have a lot more faith in those models and research than I do.  The accuracy
of weather prediction should give you an idea of how good such models really
are - not very (maybe in a few decades ...).

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (01/07/86)

>> Since the
>> scientific community has spent a huge amount of effort studying the
>> upper atmosphere and devising various models of chemical
>> transformations, the precise answer should be relatively easy to
>> obtain.
>You have a lot more faith in those models and research than I do. The accuracy
>of weather prediction should give you an idea of how good such models really
>are - not very (maybe in a few decades ...).

Actually, atmospheric chemical models and weather forecasting are not
closely related.  Current chemical models have proven inaccurate
for this reason: there are thousands of chemical reactions going
on in the atmosphere at various rates, and not all are well understood.
In contrast, the physical processes in weather are reasonably well
understood, but lack of fine grained measurements cripples forecasting.

The January issue of Science 86 has an interesting article on new
weather forecasting tools, primarily new sensing technologies.  The most
interesting uses two polar-orbiting satellites with CO2-laser radar
to get global wind measurements.  Meteorologists think these satellites
alone will make 7-10 day forecasts as accurate as current 24-hour
forecasts.  Currently, wind measurements come from weather balloons.

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (01/08/86)

[I tell myself that I'm going the read this group less.... oh well.]

I did not see the original posting.

> >> scientific community has spent a huge amount of effort studying the
> >> upper atmosphere and devising various models of chemical
> >> transformations, the precise answer should be relatively easy to
> >> obtain.

The atmosphere about 70,000 feet to 250,000 feet is relatively poorly
understood.  We have a building full of physicists and chemists working
on a Cyber 205 around the clock spending $millions trying to understand the
chemistry of this regime.

> >You have a lot more faith in those models and research than I do.
> >The accuracy
> >of weather prediction should give you an idea of how good such models really
> >are - not very (maybe in a few decades ...).
>
> Actually, atmospheric chemical models and weather forecasting are not
> closely related.

There is very little "chemical" with the weather: maybe ozone and small
things.  Weather is basically the state change of one compound (water).
Very interesting.

> Current chemical models have proven inaccurate
> for this reason: there are thousands of chemical reactions going
> on in the atmosphere at various rates, and not all are well understood.
> In contrast, the physical processes in weather are reasonably well
> understood, but lack of fine grained measurements cripples forecasting.

This is correct.  The people at NCAR could tell you better, but the
spatial resolution of the GASP [Global AtmoSPheric circulation] model
is about 2.5 degrees of latitude and longitude [over-simplication in my
figures, but close enough 100 by 100 miles, which in turn barely fits
on a Cray-1].  Consider 1 datapoint representing a 10,000 square mile area:
say 1 temperature.  Another problem is this the lack of adequate
data from satellites: consider cloud cover.  Typical weather images show
cloud patterns over the NA continent [BTW: these were unknown before
the space program].  But 70% of the world is covered by water which is
NOT watched by satellites, so there is a major sampling problem.
Nothing like running a weather program and then looking outside a window!
Several radar-based instruments for measuring wind have been sent up
on an experimental basis.

> interesting uses two polar-orbiting satellites with CO2-laser radar
> to get global wind measurements.

There is an interesting story about CO2 measurements by a fellow at Scripps
Inst. of Oceanography, but too long for this message.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb.ARPA