[sci.virtual-worlds] Wireless Gloves

brucec%phoebus.labs.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bruce Cohen) (03/19/91)

In article <18544@milton.u.washington.edu> herbt@apollo.sarnoff.com
(Herbert H Taylor III) writes:

>  But must the VR world have a one-to-one
> mapping to a fixed geometry. i.e. a step in virtual space is a step in
> some physical space? Is some kind of spherical human track-ball or a
> 2D treadmill required to remove restrictions on boundaries?  Hmmm how
> does "Infinite Virtual Worlds" sound.

It might help to map distance in a VR world nonlinearly (sort of like
forcing perspective in backgrounds when shooting films of models).  A step
near the center of the room might map to a step in the VR; the next step
might map to 2 steps, and so on exponentially.  Virtual seven-league boots.
I haven't thought this through yet, but you might also, given enough space
to walk around in, make straight lines curve enough to bring the virtunaut
back to the center of the room on most trajectories, without triggering the
balance sensors in the ear into knowing the path was curved.  Niven and
Barnes suggested such a setup in the science-fiction novel "Dream Park".
They made a dome a few hundred meters in diameter seem to contain an island
thirty or forty kilometers long, with hills hundreds of meters high.

> There is also the possibility of going gloveless using IR.
> We have already experimented with the use of an IR camara to segment
> "hot" regions. The face and hands are easy to distinguish from the
> rest of the world because they look "hot". The IR image can be
> segmented to form a mask on the monochrome image. We can also produce
> a contour map of the body (using histogram) which enables texture-like
> features to be discriminated.

How much resolution can you get in IR?  Could you reliably detect the
orientation of the finger joints, for instance?
Speaker-to-managers, aka
Bruce Cohen, Computer Research Lab        email: brucec@tekcrl.labs.tek.com
Tektronix Laboratories, Tektronix, Inc.                phone: (503)627-5241
M/S 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR  97077