[sci.virtual-worlds] Demise of the Mattel PowerGlove?

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (04/03/91)

This was posted on The WELL, in the   vr   conference.  I think it's
worthy of discussion.  What happened?  Is this the long dark night of
garage VR?

Topic  67:  PowerGlove a goner?
By: James C. Barnes (jamesb) on Tue, Apr  2, '91

 Hello all,
 It looks like the PowerGlove is dead.  Can anyone confirm it?   was in Toys R
 Us about 1 month ago and they were selling the glove for $59.00 (too cheap to
 be making money) and last week they no longer carried it.  Is it gone?

1 response total.

Topic  67:  PowerGlove a goner?
#  1: John Nagle (nagle)      Tue, Apr  2, '91  (17:16)       8 lines

      Fry's still has it, but the clientele is different.  What didn't
 happen, apparently, was the appearance of Power Glove games.  This
 may have been deliberate.  The Power Glove came from Atari but attached
 to Nitendo units.  Atari lost a lawsuit with Nitendo on the right to
 make Nitendo-compatible cartridges.  The Power Glove is thus an orphaned
 product.

      I'll bet we see it again with the new Apple game machine.

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.062154.9030@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.wash
ington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>#  1: John Nagle (nagle)      Tue, Apr  2, '91  (17:16)       8 lines
>
>      Fry's still has it, but the clientele is different.  What didn't
> happen, apparently, was the appearance of Power Glove games.  This
> may have been deliberate.  The Power Glove came from Atari but attached
> to Nintendo units.  Atari lost a lawsuit with Nintendo on the right to
> make Nintendo-compatible cartridges.  The Power Glove is thus an orphaned
> product.

I wouldn't trust this article, since at least the companies involved are
totally wrong. Atari never had anything to do with the PowerGlove. The
glove was marketed by Mattel. Mattel seems to be in extremely good terms
with Nintendo (at least in the US).

This doesn't mean that there are games for the PowerGlove, so if the
PowerGlove isn't dead now, it will probably soon be.

  / Juri Munkki     /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /