[sci.virtual-worlds] We need a a VR primer!

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Bob Jacobson) (04/01/91)

The following note was posted by an involuntary lurker, who would like to
learn more about our field -- but has no easy place to start.  I think he
makes the case quite well for a primer.  Anyone want to take a shot at
this much needed document?

I'm a lurker, basically because I don't know much about VR, though I would
like to learn more.  Some of the articles have recently become a teensy bit
technical, not in terms of difficult concepts--I can follow all that, but
in terms of abbreviations that, once deciphered, I'm sure make perfect sense.
A _big_ help for us lurkers would be a VR primer, including basic terminology,
how performance is measured, what background is best for going in to VR, etc.

dormer@cs.purdue.edu (John Dormer) (04/03/91)

  I have heard that Prof. Benedikt of UTexas will be bringing out a book on
several types of VR sometime in the next year. I don't know much about it, as
I only found out about it a week and a half ago. It sounded quite excellent
from the brief description I heard.

        John Dormer
        dormer@medusa.cs.purdue.edu
        dormer@bchm2.aclcb.purdue.edu

[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  This may be the compilation of the dozen papers delivered
at Cyberspace Conference 1, held last year.  It is to be published by MIT
Press.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)  Will there be another from this year's
CC2? -- Bob J.]

dy@cs.brown.edu (D.Y.) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.055052.25667@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.was
hington.edu (Bob Jacobson) writes:

>The following note was posted by an involuntary lurker, who would like to
>learn more about our field -- but has no easy place to start.  I think he
>makes the case quite well for a primer.  Anyone want to take a shot at
>this much needed document?
>
>I'm a lurker, basically because I don't know much about VR, though I would
>like to learn more.  Some of the articles have recently become a teensy bit
>technical, not in terms of difficult concepts--I can follow all that, but
>in terms of abbreviations that, once deciphered, I'm sure make perfect sense.
>A _big_ help for us lurkers would be a VR primer, including basic terminology,
>how performance is measured, what background is best for going in to VR, etc.

I am a lurker myself, and I don't expect to be a VR expert anytime soon.  How-
ever, as I am very much interested in this field, I have chose VR as my lecture
topic for a CS seminar that I am taking. (Student lectures are part of teh
requirement of the course.)  So far i have gathered quite a stack of reading
material for the lecture but I haven't had the time to go through them yet.
When the time comes, I will read as much as I can and come up with some
lecture notes.

Since the lecture will be more or less a primer kind of thing, if anybody's
interested I can organize the lecture notes into an article and post it.
Won't be too interesting to the experts, but might be of some value to the
novices.

BTW, since I am a computer graphics person and the seminar is a graphics
seminar, the lecture would most likely be heavy on the graphics part of VR
(i.e., visualization).  If people are interested please tell me.

Later,

David

David Yang        |  If I were wrong, then one would have been enough!
dy@cs.brown.edu   |    - Albert Einstein, on "100 Authors Against Einstein"
uunet!brunix!dy dy@browncs.bitnet   Brown University Prov RI 02912

dy@cs.brown.edu (D.Y.) (04/05/91)

Concerning the VR Primer/Lecture notes issue:

A good number of people have expressed an interest in my lecture notes via
email. I will do my best to come up with a decent effort.  Remember though,
I am a novice myself so please do forgive me for any mistakes/misconceptions
in my future art.

At any rate, my lecture will be in early May.  And given the inevitable
 end-of-the-semester fuss-buzz in mid-May, I probably won't get to post
the article till early June.  Till then, sorry to keep you guys waiting.
If you won't have access to the net during the summer send me mail and I
will mail you a copy of the article.

To those of you who sent me mail, thanks a lot for your interest and moral
support.