[sci.virtual-worlds] Chris' Ethics Paper: Report from Cybercon 2

seguine@girtab.usc.edu (Christopher Seguine) (04/26/91)

The following is a ROUGH DRAFT of an essay I am writing for an ethics
class I have.... It has not made its way thru the spelling/grammar checker
yet so please bear with me... And excuse the crazy formatting.... Its been
a nightmare trying to xfer this from my amiga 2 the lame usc main frame...
Anyway I hope this will provoke some conservation....I will also try and
post a review of the cybercon sometime soon....

Christopher Seguine           seguine@girtab.usc.edu

The Virtues of Virtual Reality

Christopher L. Seguine

Based on the proceedings
of the second annual
Cybercon

SCENARIO I

Adam is about eight years old, he has been deaf since birth
and uses sign language to communicate.   Although he can
understand what anyone is saying to him by reading their lips,
there is no way he can communicate with anyone who does not
understand sign language, short of writing his words down.
Until now.   Adam sports a dataglove which is attached to a
computer, now when he signs, his representations are converted
into speech by the computer.  Adam is now no longer impaired by
his hearing disability, and is able to communicate with anyone he
wishes.

SCENARIO II

Adam's older brother Rocco was a pilot in the air force.
Rocco use to take Adam to the park on weekends and tell him how
he loved to fly because of the feeling of freedom and oneness
with nature.   This past fall with tensions mounting in the gulf
Rocco was enrolled in a special training program.   For eight
hours a day, five days a week Rocco was one of many students who
sat in a state of the art simulator.   This was not your ordinary
computerized practice of take offs and landings.  This machine
sported 120 degree stereoscopic vision, binaural audio,
multi-input sensor tracking, and motion feedback.   When Rocco
put on the Cyber Helmet and the simulation commenced, he was no
longer in the CyberSim room on the air force base, he was in a
F19 flying over the Persian Gulf.   After a week or so of
training, Rocco no longer went to the park with Adam, in stead
they stayed in side to play Nintendo.   Rocco said he loved to
play with Adam, because the computer was just not as challenging
as a human opponent.  War broke out and Rocco was stationed at a
base somewhere near the Saudi Arabian border.   Rocco would write
Adam telling him how his bombing raids into Iraq were so much
better than that stupid Top Gun game they played on Nintendo.
He also sent Adam a copy of a scoring chart he used to tally
"points" for the missions he went on.  A point for killing a
soldier, ten for a tank, fifty for a populated neighborhood, and
minus one for killing one of his own men, although this was
updated later to zero because he felt that he should not be
penalized for someone getting in his way.  In his last letter to
Adam, Rocco wrote that he was only two hundred points shy of the
one million mark.   Rocco never broke a million, his plane was
destroyed by an enemy missile.   Rocco wrote, "the only problem
with this game, is that no matter how many points I earn I can
never get an extra life."

Ethics in a Virtual World?

These scenarios presented above, although fiction, are
possible given the technology we have today.   With the
development of any new technology there are benefits, and there
are unfortunate side effects.   My belief is that we should not
abandon a technology because we believe it may be misused,
however we should be aware of these adverse effects and try to
eliminate or at least minimize them.   The following is an
attempt to point out the current state of Cyber, as seen by me, a
multitude.
What is CyberSpace, Virtual Reality, TelePresence, etc.?
It turns out that most people find it easier to describe the
technology behind how it works, rather than what it is.   This is
a bad sign.   Cyber Space is one of those slippery words that is
hard to describe because it is a lot of things, sort of like
multimedia, that term has been around for a long time and people
still can not give a clear definition.   Anyway, cyberpunk
science fiction writer William Gibson defines it in "Neromancer"
as a "consensual hallucination...A graphical representation of
data abstracted from the banks of every computer in the human
system...Unthinkable complexity"   From the literate to the
scientific, John Walker of Autodesk defines cyberspace as "that
which provides the user a three-dimensional interaction
experience that provides the user the illusion he is inside a
world rather than observing an image."   The problem is that
people are extending VR to be everything from the HoloDeck on
Star Trek to your answering machine.   All though in someways
this could be true, what I will be discussing deals with the
strictest sense of the definition, my definition.   Cyber Space
is a completely immersive computer generated environment that the
user may interact in/with.
How does it work?   The user "jacks" into a computer using a
pair of EyePhones.   EyePhones are a set of monitors that you
wear on your head that resemble a diving mask.   The two monitors
represent left and right views, a high tech version of the
red/blue glasses of the sixties.   Your movement is tracked by a
sensor called the Polhemus, it tells the computer where you are
looking, and what you are doing.   As you turn your head the
digital landscape follows.   You interact with the environment by
using a DataGlove or DataSuit, which is basically fabric covered
with sensors to describe your gestures to the computer.   You
also wear headphones through which the computer generates
binaural audio (3d sound) that gives you sound cues to where
objects are.   You get feedback through tactile sensors in the
suit which allow you to feel when you make contact with objects.
 I'm sure it will not be too long before there will be smell
stimuli running into every user's nose also.
Who has it?   Right now VR needs real fast computers, they
cost a lot of money.   Who has the most money?   The military,
they have the money and the best toys.   Next step down is
business, companies such as AutoDesk and VPL are defining new
market places   One more step down, are universities.   More and
more educational institutions are beginning to experiment with
this new technology,  even USC has a set up, unfortunately it is
dedicated for graduate research, ie no one knows what to do with
it.   Finally, in the basement, literally, are the artists,
people trying to experiment with whatever they can get their
hands on.
What is being done?   The military are pretty much well
represented in scenario two, they are using VR based flight
simulators.   Industry is doing everything from allowing you to
tour your new home before its built or to explore space through
the body of a robot.  The artists, well, they are breaking the
rules, breaking the hardware, and basically extending the
boundaries of this new medium.
Wow, this sounds great...Where do I insert my quarter?
What is the problem?   Where do I begin?   The military are
training killers, the pioneers of this technology are elitists,
how is it going to be controlled, should it be controlled, etc,
etc etc....
First of all too much emphasis is placed on the writings of
Gibson.   Yes he was one of the original cyber punk authors, but
he is a fiction writer, and not a very good one at that.   We
should not concentrate are goals on one man's view of the future,
we need to encourage new and different views of how this
technology will evolve.
Many of the people involved with this new medium are very
concerned with preventing its misuse.   The problem is they
envision restrictions on its use in order to prevent its misuse.
 This is not an answer.   The problem is not with this
particular technology, it is with the society in which it is
based.   Will there be CyberPorn and VirtualViolence?
Undoubtably yes, unless we can somehow start a consciousness
raising in society itself.   Why should Cyber Space be any
different than the reality that created it?
Who is going to be in control in Cyber Space?   Obviously
not politicians, they are too busy in their own little world.
Should anyone have more power than anyone else in Cyber Space or
should it be a collective entity?   Who will make the laws, what
will they be based on?  How will property ownership work?   Can
you own virtual property?
Real world laws need to be updated to the electronic age.
Currently our judicial system is years behind the times.   Law
enforcement has little information about laws in the electronic
community, which makes for great injustices.   Currently a search
warrant is needed to tap a phone line, however it is perfectly
legal for a police officer to go to Radio Shack and buy a scanner
and tap into cordless or cellular phone conversations without the
need for a warrant.   Electronic crimes happen day due to the
helplessness of the police.   Batles rage in court over
copyrights on such things as "look and feel" of user interfaces.
 It is about time the legal system be brought into the
information age.
Caution must be taken with these new technologies.   We are
just starting to realize the full extent of the damage by the
industrial era.   We have no idea what the expansion into these
new realms will lead to.   Will there be an ecological movement
necessary in the virtual community?   With all the information we
are now learning about VDTs is it wise to have these two monitors
practically attached to our eyeballs?   Also just as in the
beginnings of cinema, audiences were frightened out of their
seats by trains coming right at the screen, what will happen when
a train actually runs you over in virtual reality?   Heart
attacks or psychological effects?   These are things we are going
to have to take into account as we develop this technology.
VR is going to lead us to new levels of conciousness.   Not
the acid trip conciousness that sixties left over Timothy Leary
is proposing, but enhanced visualization skills.   Just as we can
represent 3d information on a 2d piece of paper, should we not be
able to represent 4d information in 3d?   Will our senses be
lifted to news levels of sensitivity?   For example if one is in
VR and is constantly given the ability to see magnetic fields,
once he removes the goggles will his senses pick up on this
ability and be able to see the fields in reality?
There is already so much information available to a single
human being, will the cybernauts of the future take full use of
the technology and interact with it?   Or will they sit in their
chair and be a virtual couch potato.   For example when we
receive those annoying robotic advertisement calls on the phone,
we hang up.   However everyone of us is bombarded with
commercials on TV and we sit back and take it, content.   Will
this conditioning lead over to Cyber Space or will the public
realize their power and make use of it.
On the subject of power, the automobile was suppose to
empower everyone way back when that was invented.   It did not.
Then they told us that television would give power to the average
citizen.   It did not.   Then they said that the personal
computer would.   It did not.   Now they are saying it about VR,
how can we make this vision come true?  How can we encourage
people to make use of this technology?
We can do that by educating them.   However there is a
problem.   The people involved with the development of Cyber
Space systems right now are elitist.   They say they want
everyone involved but lets look at the facts.   Before all this
media hype, most of these people were computer nerds, now they
are hip cyber punk stars.   If this technology is demystified
they stand the chance of going back to being computer nerds.
Obviously they do not want this.   They shout we want freedom of
information, and education of the multitudes.   In reality they
charge into the thousands of dollars to attend these conferences,
and for some of them you have to be selected to attend.
Literature and documentation is both scarce and expensive, if
you can find it video coverage of these conferences usually
ranges in the thousands of dollars.   These conferences need to
be made available to the public, we need to get fresh ideas for
outside the industry.   If you ask a software programmer if his
software is user friendly, he will unfailingly say yes.   If you
ask a user of that software you may get a different story.
I heard a recent comment that the video game industry has
failed us as a medium.   I believe that to be totally false.
Working as a game counselor I had a good deal of interaction with
children involved with video games.   For the most part I believe
video games did the job they were suppose to do, they got
children and adults interested or at least involved with
computers.   The problem is the industry failed.   Kids would
know secrets that I did not, and I was payed to play the games.
On the other hand, kids were very interested in how the games
were made so they could make their own, however they did not have
a clue.   Unfortunately in the customer service department at
this particular company no else did either, besides me.   So for
every child who I set on the straight course of how to create
something themselves, there were many who remained clueless.
There are tons of magazines and literature flooding the market on
what is coming out next year, but nothing to answer every kid's
question, "How does it work, or How do I make one?"   The
industry is only thinking in the monetary terms of make it while
you can, in stead of looking towards the future.   This mentality
needs to change if ideas such as Cyber Space will succeed.
The ethics of ambiguity?   It is human nature to try and
define everything with definitions based on physical world
properties.   The sky is blue, an orange is round, etc.   However
these terms do not transfer over to internal things such as
emotions or feelings.   What exactly is sadness?   There is no
true definition, in stead we associate meanings or experiences to
the term.   As technology advances we continue to gather insight
to our inner selves.   Cinema has enhanced our ability by giving
us imagery references to associate with emotions.   With the
development of virtual reality what will that lead to?
Society currently bases its morals on ideals and doctrines
dating back hundreds to thousands of years, what is to say that
they still are applicable to modern day.  With the state our
world is in, it may indicate some problems with these morals.
Why not base our morals on science in stead.   For example, we
respected the beliefs of quantum physics, in which everything is
connected to everything else, killing someone or something would
be insane, because in reality you are killing part of yourself.
Through cyber space we will be able to explore these new ways of
thinking.
So what does this all mean?   Will Cyber Space be a military
brain washing propaganda device?   Will it be the ultimate arcade
game?   Will it be a new tool for communication?   The answer is
yes to all three,  The virtual worlds of tomorrow are being
shaped today,   we must ignore the novelty, and proceed with
excitement and intelligence.   Any doubts that there will be a
Sony CyberMan in the near future?

kilian@poplar (Alan Kilian) (04/30/91)

>From: seguine@girtab.usc.edu (Christopher Seguine)

>SCENARIO I (Adam uses a glove to sign which gets translated into speech)

This is the coolest application I have ever heard for VR technology.
Very very very cool. Congratulations. Now Do you think that this will EVER
get done? I sort of doubt it really.

>SCENARIO II (Adam's brother becomes a war monger.)

Is this really any different than normal military training? I don't think so.
Soldiers have been trained to kill people for a few thousand years.
Some things never change. VR is simply another tool to make people
do what we want them to. (In my obviously pinko opinion)

>Ethics in a Virtual World?

>It turns out that most people find it easier to describe the
>technology behind how it works, rather than what it is.   This is
>a bad sign.

Sign, sign everywhere a sign. Blocking out new paradigms, gettin' work done.

>Many of the people involved with this new medium are very
>concerned with preventing its misuse.

Way too concerned. Concerned to the point of inaction. "Let's just
talk about this and no one will get hurt" because nothing will ever get done.

>The problem is not with this
>particular technology, it is with the society in which it is
>based.   Will there be CyberPorn and VirtualViolence?

I really hope so. If I had a holodeck I'd be in there all day having sex.

>Undoubtably yes, unless we can somehow start a consciousness
>raising in society itself.

And I'll oppose you all the way.

>Who is going to be in control in Cyber Space?   Obviously
>not politicians, they are too busy in their own little world.
>Should anyone have more power than anyone else in Cyber Space or
>should it be a collective entity?   Who will make the laws, what
>will they be based on?  How will property ownership work?   Can
>you own virtual property?

Come on. "Can you own virtual property?" Do I own the files I keep on my
computer right now? Yes. Are they real or virtual files? Virtual. Big
deal.

>Real world laws need to be updated to the electronic age.
>Currently our judicial system is years behind the times.   Law
>enforcement has little information about laws in the electronic
>community, which makes for great injustices.   Currently a search
>warrant is needed to tap a phone line, however it is perfectly
>legal for a police officer to go to Radio Shack and buy a scanner
>and tap into cordless or cellular phone conversations without the
>need for a warrant.

Sounds like you are suggesting that a search warrant shouldn't be needed
to tap a phone like.

>Electronic crimes happen day due to the helplessness of the police.

More nightsticks will solve the problems. Oh by the way when did we stop
talking about VR and get onto solving social problems?

>Caution must be taken with these new technologies.

These new technologies should be pushed as far and as fast as we can. Don't
try to solve all of the possible problems on the first cut. Get this
stuff developed. Figure it out later.

>With all the information we are now learning about VDTs is it wise to
>have these two monitors practically attached to our eyeballs?

The monitors in the VPL headset are Liquid Crystal Displays and all of
the electromagnetic radiation research is being done with normal cathode
ray tubes which are nothing like LCD displays. The magnitude of the
electromagnetic fields are tiny in LCD displays.

>Also just as in the
>beginnings of cinema, audiences were frightened out of their
>seats by trains coming right at the screen, what will happen when
>a train actually runs you over in virtual reality?

You will be scared.

>Heart attacks or psychological effects?

Oh, psychological effects O.K. You will be scared.

>VR is going to lead us to new levels of consciousness.

And new paradigms of thought and new sensory modalities. You forgot those.

>For example if one is in
>VR and is constantly given the ability to see magnetic fields,
>once he removes the goggles will his senses pick up on this
>ability and be able to see the fields in reality?

No. The human eye is not sensitive to normal strength magnetic fields.
Sorry.

>On the subject of power, the automobile was suppose to
>empower everyone way back when that was invented.   It did not.

Ha. The automobile was for rich dudes and dudettes to get around better
than the average Joe. Sounds like VR huh?

>Then they told us that television would give power to the average
>citizen.   It did not.

Right. See above.

>Then they said that the personal computer would.   It did not.

Right. See above.

>Now they are saying it about VR,

I see where you are going with this. The answer is "It won't"

>how can we make this vision come true?  How can we encourage
>people to make use of this technology?

1) Make it work. 2) Make it cheap.

>So what does this all mean?   Will Cyber Space be a military
>brain washing propaganda device?

Without a doubt Yes.

>Will it be the ultimate arcade game?

Yes and I can't wait.

>Will it be a new tool for communication?

Yes.

>The answer is yes to all three.

>The virtual worlds of tomorrow are being shaped today.
>We must ignore the novelty, and proceed with excitement and intelligence.
>Any doubts that there will be a Sony CyberMan in the near future?

Now you're making sense. Get on with it.

And No, I have no doubt that there will bw a "Sony CyberMan" My only
doubt is if there will be a "Good 'ol made in the U.S.A CyberMan"

 -Alan Kilian kilian@cray.com                  612.683.5499
  Cray Research, Inc.           | Getting up early is an absolute drag,
  655 F Lone Oak Drive          | at least I should suppose it would be.
  Eagan  MN,     55121          | -James S. Kunen _The Strawberry Statement_

jdb9608@ultb.isc.rit.edu (J.D. Beutel) (04/30/91)

>>For example if one is in
>>VR and is constantly given the ability to see magnetic fields,
>>once he removes the goggles will his senses pick up on this
>>ability and be able to see the fields in reality?
>
>No. The human eye is not sensitive to normal strength magnetic fields.
>Sorry.

Seeing is more than meets the eye.

Sometimes you see what you expect to see, even tho it's not really
there.  And then there are things right in front of you which you might
never notice.

Imagine a eyephone/camera/computer which can (somehow) identify hidden
weapons (like an experienced police officer) by suspicious bulges in
clothing.  A rookie could use this visual cue to learn what to look
for.  With experience the rookie could see what s/he could not see
before, but would learn faster with the cueing.

How about a similar system for engineers, with input from stress
sensors (inside bridges, buildings, or machines)?  The VR cues
presented in conjunction with the engineer's own senses may allow
him/her to learn what to look for.  The engineer may begin to be able
to see the stressed areas without any input from internal sensors.

I expect those wouldn't be the strangest changes in perception.
Many suprising discoveries have been made about human perception, so
far.  VR can be a new tool in experimental psychology, and it may lead
to new discoveries--results we could never have imagined because we are
so deeply entrenched in the reality we have adapted for ourselves.

>>VR is going to lead us to new levels of consciousness.
>
>And new paradigms of thought and new sensory modalities. You forgot those.

Oh yeah--and all that stuff, too.

J. David Beutel  11011011  jdb9608@cs.rit.edu      "I am, therefore I am."

vamplew@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Peter Vamplew) (04/30/91)

In <1991Apr29.200959.17885@milton.u.washington.edu> kilian@poplar (Alan Kilian)
writes:

>>From: seguine@girtab.usc.edu (Christopher Seguine)

>>SCENARIO I (Adam uses a glove to sign which gets translated into speech)

>This is the coolest application I have ever heard for VR technology.
>Very very very cool. Congratulations. Now Do you think that this will EVER
>get done? I sort of doubt it really.

Doubt no more. Work is already being done in this area. My recently commenced
PhD thesis is on Machine Recognition of Sign Language, and I know others are
also working in the area including Jim Kramer from Stanford who has already
developed a system which converts fingerspelling to speech. Expanding this
research to full-blown sign language is obviously a long-term goal but at
least the work is underway.

Peter Vamplew                           vamplew@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au

kovach@rtc.atk.com (Pete Kovach) (04/30/91)

Peter Vamplew writes -

>Doubt no more. Work is already being done in this area.  My recently
>commenced PhD thesis is on Machine Recognition of Sign Language, and I know
>others are also working in the area including Jim Kramer from Stanford who
>has already developed a system which converts fingerspelling to speech.
>Expanding this research to full-blown sign language is obviously a
>long-term goal but at

Most certainly it is a popular area. Finger spelling recognition is quite
simple and it amazed me that he applied for a patent on it. I know I, and
a few others, had developed systems to recognize finger spelling.

The sifficult area is recognizing sign language as a whole. Recognizing
finger spelling is fairly useless. Can you imagine talking to someone who
verbally SPELLED everything - "H-I H-O-W A-R-E Y-O-U". Geeez - a slow
conversation to say the least. Also, no one thinks that way and it would
be a difficult task just to make yourself finger spell everything rather
than sign.

It will be interesting to see how people approach the recognition task. I
think it will be a great "contest" to see who does the best. I know I hope
to be first, but I am sure I will not be. Of well, maybe the best or most
affordable. Whatever.
--
Peter Kovach

Sig - We don't need no stinking sig!

iaf@uk.ac.cam.cl.ely (Innes Ferguson) (05/02/91)

In <1991Apr29.200959.17885@milton.u.washington.edu> Alan Kilian says:

>>From: seguine@girtab.usc.edu (Christopher Seguine)
>
>>SCENARIO I (Adam uses a glove to sign which gets translated into speech)
>
>This is the coolest application I have ever heard for VR technology.
>Very very very cool. Congratulations. Now Do you think that this will EVER
>get done? I sort of doubt it really.

Something similar has been done already (or is being done).
The system I saw didn't use a glove per se; rather it used a full
sensor-clad robotic hand that the hearing-impaired user could "mould"
into the desired sign. When satisfied the user could "push a
button" and generate a synthetic spoken version of the sign.
I can't remember who's doing it, what TV program I saw it on,
or how advanced it is. Sorry.

BTW, this surely isn't a VR application. It's a "plain old"
HCI/speech synthesis one. I'm not saying it's easy, but it
must be easier than speech recog./understanding given the more
constrained form of input (hand signs vs. speech signals).

Regards... Innes

Innes A. Ferguson          Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge,
                           Pembroke St., Cambridge CB2 3QG, England, UK.
                           BITNET: iaf@cl.cam.ac.uk   JANET: iaf@uk.ac.cam.cl
                           Tel.: +44 223 334421       FAX: +44 223 334678

mmace@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Mark A. Mace) (05/04/91)

In article <1991Apr26.180325.6387@milton.u.washington.edu> seguine@girtab.
usc.edu (Christopher Seguine) writes:

>The following is a ROUGH DRAFT of an essay I am writing for an ethics
>class I have.... It has not made its way thru the spelling/grammar checker
>yet so please bear with me... And excuse the crazy formatting.... Its been

  First of all, let me state that I am a new to this posting deal, so I
apoligize in advance for mistakes.

  I mainly wanted to say I thought the paper was good, it brought out a
lot of important points to be thought about.  Unfortunately what is said
is completely true.  The inventors, and main users are military.  This
causes the use to be focused on destruction when it could be used for
much more humanitarian purposes.

  I think Candide said it best though with "In the best of all possible
worlds...", and forgive me if I misquoted.

Mark Mace
some really interesting quote should be here if I only had a .sig