[sci.virtual-worlds] Mesdag virtual reality exhibition

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (05/14/91)

When you're in The Hague, visit the permanent VR exhibit called 'The Mesdag
Panorama'. It's located at Zeestraat 65 B in the centre of town.....

--
Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl) is also editor of  Hack-Tic (hack/phreak mag.)
quote: "We don't care about freedom of the mind, | Postbus 22953    (in DUTCH)

jorice@maths.tcd.ie (Jonathan Rice) (05/20/91)

In <1991May15.050936.29121@milton.u.washington.edu> ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggri
jp) writes:

>When you're in The Hague, visit the permanent VR exhibit called 'The Mesdag
>Panorama'. It's located at Zeestraat 65 B in the centre of town.....

Yeah, I've seen it - it's pretty interesting. For some background here, it's
a panorama painting, painted I think in the 1880s. Basically what it is is a
cylindrical canvas - fairly big, maybe 40 feet diameter and 20 feet high (I
don't know - I'm terrible at guessing things like this). You come up through
stairs at the center at emerge in this wooden sort of beach hut on the top of
a dune. All around you is the seaside area of Scheveningen, close to the Hague,
as it was in the 1880s. Simulated dune (with real sand and old boots and rope
and stuff) stretches down from your hut where it merges with the painting.
Really it's amazingly good. Yes, you can obviously see the seams in things and
you can easily see it's just a painting, but every so often, you find
yourself in a real hut on a real beach. After a second, you snap out of it,
but it's a bit disorienting.

Panorama paintings were very popular around that time and were usually
undertaken as commercial enterprises - kind of like the "new ride" at a fun
park. Panorama Mesdag was built to cash in on the tourists who visited the
Hague and Scheveningen at that time - a big trade, apparently. The painting
itself was primarily done by H. W. Mesdag, one of the foremost Dutch seascape
painters of the day. He was generally criticized for "selling out" to
commercial interests when he agreed to do the painting, but apparently when
people saw how good the end painting was, they were overwhelmed and
pronounced it a masterpiece. At least that's what the museum itself says, but
they would, wouldn't they?

The sketches for the painting were done by Mesdag standing in a specially-
constructed stand on a dune at Scheveningen. The stand had a cylinder of glass
running around the top of it, through which Mesdag looked and directly
sketched on. The sketches were then transferred onto paper by putting sheets
up around the inside of the glass. The paper sketches were then greatly
enlarged and transferred onto the panorama canvases. I think the glass stand
idea was Mesdag's and greatly improved the speed and accuracy of the work.

So yes, all you VR people, go see what it was like 100 years ago! At the
Panorama, there's also an exhibition on panoramas in general of the time.
It's fascinating, especially if you know some Dutch, but I got along with just
English ok. Also in the Hague is an Omnimax theatre, called the Omniversum,
if you haven't seen this, with a pocket-sized flight simulator outside.
Both fun. In Rotterdam, there's an IMAX theatre, but I didn't get to see this.

|    Jonathan Rice     | Email: jorice@cs.tcd.ie    | He was a common fly      |
|----------------------| Tel: 353.1.772941 x2156 (w)| With a taste for fashion |
|Computer Science Dept.|      353.1.6245415      (h)| They were thrown together|
|  Trinity College     | Fax: 353.1.772204          | In a heat of passion     |
|     Dublin 2,        |               woof /\___/  |         - "Human Fly",   |
|     Ireland.         |                     /| |\  |          The Horseflies  |