[sci.virtual-worlds] Good to see you & FRIEND21

ishihara@etl.go.jp (Satoshi Ishihara,,,Hikari-jouhou) (05/31/91)

>From hiro@friend21.or.jp Tue May 21 20:40:55 1991
Date: Tue, 21 May 91 17:44:52 JST
From: hiro@friend21.or.jp (Hirotada Ueda)
To: ishihara@etl.go.jp
Subject: FRIEND21 Symposium Announcement

First Announcement

                                                      April 21, 1991

     The 2nd FRIEND21 International Symposium on Next Generation
                    Human Interface Technologies
                 November 25-27, 1991 Tokyo, Japan
        Institute for Personalized Information Environment

     The symposium is to provide a forum to discuss next generation
human interface technologies that are supposed to emerge in the 21st
century.  The topics of interest include (but are not limited to) the
following:

     - Communication
     - Human Interface Design
     - Human Interface Architecture
     - Computer Supported Cooperative Work
     - Media and Human Interface
     - Related technologies for Future Human Interface

1. Outline of the symposium program
   General Sessions
     Keynote speeches
     Report of FRIEND21 research activity
     Panel discussion
   Technical sessions
     Presentation by invited speakers
   Official languages:  English / Japanese

2. Date and Venue
   November 25-27, 1991
   KEIDANREN KAIKAN, Tokyo, Japan

3. Host
   Institute for Personalized Information Environment (P. I. E.)

4. Number of participants
   Approx. 400

5. Chairs
   SYMPOSIUM CHAIRMAN
     Shigeru Watanabe
      (Institute for Personalized Information Environment)
   SYMPOSIUM COCHAIRMAN
     Koichiro Tamura (Electrotechnical Laboratory, MITI)
   PROGRAM CHAIRMAN
     Makoto Nagao (Kyoto University)

     The symposium is followed by two days workshop on future human
interface technology (November 28-29, 1991, in the suburbs of
Tokyo, Japan).

                          For further information, please contact
                          Kenji Seno, P. I. E.
                          1-17-1 Toranomon, Minato-ku,TOKYO 105, JAPAN
                            Phone  +81 3 3507-0791
                            Fax    +81 3 3507-0921

                    FRIEND21 PROJECT & P. I. E.

- FRIEND21 PROJECT (Future personalized information environment
  development) has been launched by Japanese Government in October,
  1988.
  FRIEND21 PROJECT aims to realize personalized information
  environment in the society which is highly structured on the basis
  of communication network and various information processing
  capabilities in the 21st century.
  To get the goal, innovation of human interface between individuals
  and information processing facilities is strongly expected.
  Such a future human interface will be implemented in a personal use
  computer, and will enable everybody to directly engage into the
  information society by means of :
    - Interaction with machine
    - Use of everyday life based metaphors
    - Adaptation to his / her personal preferences
- In FRIEND21 PROJECT, the following technologies are to be developed
  in term of 6 years (1988 - 1993)
    - Human Interface Technology
    - Media Conversion Technology
    - Information Structurization Technology
    - Intension Understanding Technology
- FRIEND21 PROJECT is carried out by P. I. E. (Institute for
  Personalized Information Environment) under the trust of the
  Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI).
- P. I. E. was established on June 7, 1988 by permission of the
  Ministry of International Trade and Industry based on Article 34 of
  Japanese Civil Law.
- Major tasks of P. I. E. are as follows:
    - Research and development of future personalized information
      environment
    - Assessment and Survey of future personalized information
      environment
    - Enlightenment of future personalized information environment

Member companies of P. I. E

   IWANAMI SHOTEN, PUBLISHERS
   Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd.
   SHARP CORPORATION
   Sony Corporation
   DAI NIPPON PRINTING CO., LTD.
   TOSHIBA CORPORATION
   TOPPAN PRINTING CO., LTD.
   IBM Japan, Ltd.
   NEC Corporation
   Hitachi, Ltd.
   FUJI-XEROX CO., LTD.
   FUJITSU LIMITED
   MATSUSHITA ELECTRIC INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD.
   MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC CORPORATION