[sci.virtual-worlds] use of "corruptibility"

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (06/05/91)

In a footnote to Genny Engel's reply on "corruptibility", Bob wrote:

> [MODERATOR'S NOTE:  Is it the technology or the people behind the
> technology whose corruptibility is at issue? -- Bob Jacobson]

My first reaction to this was that it's just a matter of word use--
what we were addressing was the issue of whether the technology has
characteristics which make it amenable to corrupt use.

Then I backed away from that (hasty) response, because it occurred
to me that we hear all too often "it's a computer error" when we mean
"it's a programmer error made manifest by the computer".  Given that
VR technology is far more powerful and malleable, and far less obvious
in its functioning than, say, a credit-card billing program, we might
want to be careful about how we attribute (or blame) the "user" vs the
hardware/software system vs the programmer/creator for the results of a VR
interaction.

OK, with that out of the way, what I was fussing about a couple of postings
ago was the "amenability of the technology to corrupt use"--the idea that a
corrupt programmer is given a very powerful tool for manipulating people.
That is, I think there are characteristics of the technology which allow
manipulating viewer/users in heretofore-unanticipated ways.  I'm concerned
(a) whether that's really as powerful as I think it is, and (b) how (or
whether) we'll try to guard against abuse.  (This all may be heading too
far off on a tangent; feel free to tell me to "take it to email".)
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.