[sci.virtual-worlds] `Improved' quality of small LCD displays.

harry@harlqn.co.uk (Harry Fearnhamm) (06/04/91)

There was a feature on `Tomorrow's World' (UK) last week about a
special plastic that can be used to improve the quality of small LCD
displays; it consists of thousands on tiny lenses that defocus the
image on a small scale, so that the overall picture remains intact -
just the localised graininess is removed.  They demonstrated it, and
it did have a significant effect.  As always, they gave no information
on how to get it; I can try to find out if noone out there already
knows.

--
   Harry Fearnhamm, ,---.'\   EMAIL: loki@harlqn.co.uk
    Harlequin Ltd, (, /@ )/          ...!ukc!cam-cl!harlqn!loki

[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  I've heard it referred to as a "laminate diffuser"
or words to that effect, which essentially means a plastic layer on the
LCD which blurs the image so that the pixels are less individuated.  I
believe John Waldern uses this method with the W Industries arcade system.
-- Bob Jacobson]

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (06/06/91)

harry@harlqn.co.uk (Harry Fearnhamm) writes:

>There was a feature on `Tomorrow's World' (UK) last week about a
>special plastic that can be used to improve the quality of small LCD
>displays; it consists of thousands on tiny lenses that defocus the
>image on a small scale, so that the overall picture remains intact -
>just the localised graininess is removed.  They demonstrated it, and
>it did have a significant effect.  As always, they gave no information
>on how to get it; I can try to find out if noone out there already
>knows.

On the subject, there is an LCD shutter material coming out of the
labs which defocuses on command instead of going opaque.
Your visual system dutifully ignores the blurred image, in an odd
corrollary to Lazy Eye Syndrome.  Supposedly, this conquers the
dimness problem of opaque-style LCD shutters.

Lance