   From: cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson)
   Subject: Meckler Conference Taking Place NOW, in London!
   Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 04:30:59 GMT

   This is a reminder to our European friends, and especially those in
   Northern Europe, that the Meckler Conference on Virtual Reality takes
   place in London this weekend and/or the first part of next week.  I
   have no details, so anyone who can post the calendar and roster should
   do so.  The HIT Lab will have a few delegates there, as will most other
   VR labs in North America and Britain.  The newsgroup welcomes reports
   from any attendees.

Unfortunately I went expecting an exhibition with a conference
attached.  It turned out to be the other way round, but given the
limited amount of commercial development in Britain, that's hardly
surprising.  There was nothing new over the Computer Graphics
Exhibition last November in London, but that too is hardly surprising.
There were no University Groups demonstrating, either, which might
have been a good idea - does this reflect the limited amount of
academic VR research in Britain (someone enlighted me here!), or is it
just the way the conference turned out?  I could only afford the
proceedings - I wish these things weren't so expensive!!!

--
   Harry Fearnhamm, ,---.'\   EMAIL: loki@harlqn.co.uk
    Harlequin Ltd, (, /@ )/          ...!ukc!cam-cl!harlqn!loki

[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  Is "VR" passing out of the exhibition -- I almost
said, "circus"! -- mode, or is this just a passing hiatus in the cycle
of commercial conferencing?  Only the NIKKEI and SIGGRAPH meetings will
tell!  Stay tuned, fellow celebrants.  Thanks again, Harry, for the
report.  Think of the Proceedings' cost as an investment in your
great-grandchildrens' future.  They should fetch a nice price in the
future.  I hang onto MOST of my VR memorabilia.

[Sorry about the editorializing, friends.  Back into my moderator's
shell...  -- Bob Jacobson]

ISSSSM%NUSVM.bitnet%lilac.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax. (Stephen Smoliar) (06/10/91)

I am interested in hearing from anyone who attended the London Conference,
"Virtual Reality 91:  Impacts and Applications."  The announcement listed
eleven talks which were given and two open forums.  Is this all that there
was?  Were the talks published in a proceedings volume;  or were they more
like "pep rally" talks?  If an account is not presented on this bulletin board,
please send information to me by electronic mail (address given below).

Stephen W. Smoliar
Institute of Systems Science
National University of Singapore
Heng Mui Keng Terrace, Kent Ridge
SINGAPORE 0511

BITNET:  ISSSSM@NUSVM

"He was of Lord Essex's opinion, 'rather to go an hundred miles to speak with
one wise man, than five miles to see a fair town.'"--Boswell on Johnson

[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  The prior posting in this thread, by Harry Fearnham,
gave general information about the Meckler Conference.  Any further
information about obtaining proceedings, etc., would certainly be
welcome. -- Bob Jacobson]

peterhi@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Peter Hickman) (06/10/91)

                            Virtual Reality '91
                            Somewhere in London
                                5th-6th June

I went here,  indeed I  was also  responsible for  pointing this  out to  many
friends here at Sussex and  getting them to go, on  the 6th. I can't say  much
about the Conference  part of the  show ( except  there were an  awful lot  of
people wearing business suits )  as my funds only allowed  me to go as far  as
the free exhibition.

Well first off there were only 5  exhibitors and for no good reason they  were
on two floors. Two of  them were the souped up  CAD type systems, two  sported
the weird headgear and the last showed us 3D TV.

We had a program here called Horizon that covered VR several weeks ago and  it
must be said that I have now had  a go on all the major exhibits  (Virtuality,
CyberZone and the  NASA like head  set) and  feel less inclined  to VR  than I
first was. The place  looked and sounded  like a games arcade  and all of  the
systems seemed  to be  based  around interactive  CAD  systems. I  don't  have
anything against CAD but  simply adding a new  interface to it doesn't  really
change things it mearly facilitates escapism for those who lack imagination.

The 3D television  however looked  good but here  again a  somewhat less  sexy
product was really  being displayed. The  trick with  the 3D TV  was that  the
makers had a method  of compressing two  signals into one  and decoding it  in
real time - a remarkable achivement indeed but is it really VR? When I  talked
to the salesman as to  whome his major clients were  it came down to  security
firms who  wanted their  security cameras  to record  as much  information  as
possible and vidio companies who wanted to get as much on a tape as possible (
8 chanels on  a 2  inch tape  seems a  posiblilty ).  Any clients  for the  3D
aspect? Not really, it just brought in the crowds.

So I  left disappointed  and sporting  a  big headache  ( by  the way  if  any
exhibitors are reading I was the one in black leather from Cognitive  Sciences
). When I was little and armed with nothing more than imagination we had  this
thing that  our  parents  called  escapism, now  we  have  computers  we  have
Interactive  Architecture,   Interactive  Landscape   Gardening,   Interactive
Interior Design and Interactive Games and  we call it Virtual Reality. It  all
seems much less real that the  games I used to play  and the books that I  now
read.

Someone please tell me that this exhibition  was just a blind and that VR  has
something vibrant to show us rather  than the fact that the Marketing  Machine
has yet to run out of new names for old markets.

Peter Hi

        Peter "You're doing computing as an ARTS degree!" Hickman
      COGS U/G PH, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QH
--------------------------------------- peterhi@uk.ac.sussex.syma ------------
    SOMETHING EMBASASING UNDER CONSTRUCTION (other than the spelling!)
--------------------------------------- peterhi@uk.ac.sussex.tsuna -----------
      "More beer, more shouting, resistance is useless" - USTA bars

[MODERATOR'S NOTE:  William Bricken just returned from the Meckler
Conference and reports, "It's the best conference I've been to."  We
look forward to his posting a full report from inside the conference.
-- Bob Jacobson]

harry@harlqn.co.uk (Harry Fearnhamm) (06/11/91)

     From: Stephen Smoliar <ISSSSM%NUSVM.bitnet%lilac.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.
     Subject: Re: Meckler Conference Taking Place NOW, in London!
     Date: Sun, 09 Jun 91 13:40:03 SST

     I am interested in hearing from anyone who attended the London Conference,
     "Virtual Reality 91:  Impacts and Applications."  The announcement listed
     eleven talks which were given and two open forums.  Is this all that there
     was?  Were the talks published in a proceedings volume;  or were they more
     like "pep rally" talks?

I don't know the details of the talks, as I didn't go to the
conference, but I got the Proceedings, according to which there were
two days of talks, five on the first day, six on the second, and an
open forum at the end of each; the first day focused on the
foundations of VR, the second on real world applications.  The very
last talk didn't get into the Proceedings.

Proceedings of the First Annual Conference on Virtual Reality '91:
Impacts and Applications.

ISBN 0 88736 781 X

Published by:

Meckler Ltd.,
247-249 Vauxhall Bridge Road,
London SW1V 1HQ,
England.

Also at:

11 Ferry Lane West,
Westport,
CT 06880,
USA.

The Proceedings cost me 25 pounds.  I don't know whether you can get
them direct from Meckler, but it's worth a try.  In my opinion, they
are rather expensive (proceedings always are!), and don't really say
much that hasn't been discussed at some time or other in s.v-w, but as
a way of crystallising the current state of VR, they are worth it.
They also give overviews of one or two commercial products that are
now available.  Pehaps William Bricken or Brian Karr can comment on
this (assuming HITL got a copy!)