farris@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Russell H. Farris) (01/24/90)

        What is "nn"? Thanks,

Russ Farris        (farris@marlin.nosc.mil)   (619)553-4129
Code 444
Naval Ocean Systems Center
San Diego, CA 92152-5000

kristoff@genbank.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (01/24/90)

>        What is "nn"? Thanks,

I also would like to know (public postings only please).  I assume
from the other messages that it must be a further development of the
"mm" mail program?!
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank On-line Service Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

anantha%ravi@Sun.COM (Anantha Srirama) (01/24/90)

kristoff@genbank.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) writes:

>>        What is "nn"? Thanks,

>I also would like to know (public postings only please).  I assume
>from the other messages that it must be a further development of the
>"mm" mail program?!
>--
>				Sincerely,

>				Dave Kristofferson
>				GenBank On-line Service Manager
>				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

OK, here goes a description.

	NN - No News

	- This is a super-fast news reader.
	- It is a package not just one program.
	- Unlike other readers it keeps a local database of the article headers
	  and starts up instantaneously.  If you have a mainframe and are
	  using it this won't make much of a difference.  But if you are like
	  me running on a workstation with a remotely mounted /usr/spool/news
	  this is the best thing since sliced bread.
	- It provides a facility to monitor who is reading news and for how
	  long :-<.  But fortunately this feature can be turned off during
	  the compilation :->
	- It is menu driven
	- It knows about all the groups and can complete group names by a typing
	  a simple space/tab.
	- It provides a convenient way to save articles, specially tailored to
	  save postings which are multipart.
	- You can have macros
	- On-line manual
	- NNTP and network support

That is just the beginning, I have used this package and recommend it to anybodyThe only drawaback is the additional space required for the database, it is
around ~7MB on my machine (Sun3/160).  Since our news server is heavily loaded
due to a large number of clients the local data base helps me zip through the
groups I am interested in a matter of minutes.  I can scan the headers quickly
and choose the articles I want to read and be done with it.  That is all I can
say folks.

	-Anantha-

Anantha Padmanabha N. Srirama		|  USENET:  ...sun!anantha@Eng
Sun Microsystems			|  ARPA:    anantha@Eng.Sun.COM