[news.software.nn] and ANOTHER thing...

chidsey@smoke.BRL.MIL (Irving Chidsey) (01/24/90)

In article <5071@quack.UUCP> mrapple@quack.UUCP (Nick Sayer) writes:
>And how can I get nn to quit sending "follow failed" mail?
>Here's the situation - my home directory is chmod'd 700.
>inews can't read the .sig, so it returns an error message,
>which simply indicates that the .sig could not be read,
>but the article is posted anyway. But nn freaks thinking
>that the post failed. chmod'ing to anything but 700 is
>unacceptable.

	If the whole world can read your .sig after it is appended to
a letter, why can't it be read before?  Surely the information contained
therein is not that time critical!  If it is that secret, just remove it.
But why can't you make that one file world readable without exposing the
rest of the directory?

							Irv
--
I do not have signature authority.  I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DOA, the DOD, or the US Government

mrapple@quack.UUCP (Nick Sayer) (02/02/90)

Thanks to those who replied. The answer turned out to be
chmod'ing my home directory to 711, which (although less
than ideal) is acceptable. Others suggested:

cd ~
mkdir private
chmod 700 private
chmod 711 .

for the truely paranoid.

Thanks again to those who replied. Now if I can only get the
nn archiver to answer my mail... :-)
--
Nick Sayer  -  The Goose Egg public unix  -  209-952-5347 (Telebit)