[news.software.nn] Want nn 6.3 patch #7

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (01/26/90)

I am currently running nn 6.3.6.
I have ftp'd patches 8, 9 and 10 from freja.diku.dk,
but I can't seem to find patch #7.

Is there anyone out there who can help me?

Thanks in advance.
--
Pim Zandbergen                           domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                          uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

steve@gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve A Rooke) (02/02/90)

istewart@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) writes:

>dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) writes:

>>tempest@wet.UUCP (Ken Lui) writes:

>>>In article <1676@ctisbv.cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>>>There's no patch #7.  It never was posted and taking its place is
>>>the full version of nn v6.3.7.  I had to download nn6.3.7 with
>>>patches 8 through 10 and I'm afraid you'll need to do the same.

>>Is nn 6.3.7 in any anonymous ftp archive on the Internet? If not,
>>wouldn't it make sense to place it on uunet.uu.net or labrea.stanford.edu
>>or somewhere?

>And for those of us in the non-ftp world, could it be posted or mailed?

I second that!  I understand that patches are available from `stiatl' but
I have tried that and received no reply.  I guess there must be a number of
people trying to do the same. So, in the interests of our time and bandwidth,
how about posting them to the net.  It seems that patch 7 is the most
wanted so how about that one on it's own.

Thanks

Steve
---
Steve Rooke  E-Mail:  steve@gapos.bt.co.uk  (...mcvax!ukc!axion!gapos!steve)
Telephone:   UK + 394 693595  | Gold:   73:TBP271
BT, ITS/CS, Area 106, Anzani House, Trinity Ave, FELIXSTOWE, Suffolk, UK
#include <std/disclaimer>

molenda@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Jason "Hax R Us" Molenda) (02/04/90)

steve@gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve A Rooke) writes:

>>>Is nn 6.3.7 in any anonymous ftp archive on the Internet? If not,
>>>wouldn't it make sense to place it on uunet.uu.net or labrea.stanford.edu
>>>or somewhere?

>>And for those of us in the non-ftp world, could it be posted or mailed?

>I second that!  I understand that patches are available from `stiatl' but
>I have tried that and received no reply.  I guess there must be a number of
>people trying to do the same. So, in the interests of our time and bandwidth,
>how about posting them to the net.  It seems that patch 7 is the most
>wanted so how about that one on it's own.

a)  as someone said before, there is no patch #7; it's a whole new archive
    files.
b)  I have all of the nn patches available here at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
    [128.101.224.1] in ~ftp/pub/news/nn.  I don't have nn-6.3.7.tar.Z
    here right now as the only place I've found it available for ftp is
    freja.diku.dk and the copy I just ftp'ed a short while back had
    a checksum error in it when I tried to untar it.

  -jason molenda, news+mail person @cs.umn.edu.

molenda@cs.umn.edu                       || postmaster@cs.umn.edu
molenda%umn-cs.cs.umn.edu@umnacvx.bitnet || uunet!umn-cs!molenda

davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) (02/05/90)

molenda@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Jason "Hax R Us" Molenda) wrote:
}a)  as someone said before, there is no patch #7; it's a whole new archive
}    [of] files.

This is demonstrably false.  I am in possession of the illusive patch #7, which
brings the usenet-posted patchlevel 6 version (nn-6.3.6) into sync with the
ftp version (nn-6.3.7).  It has been posted multiple times here the access
information to an archive server that has the 230k patch.  When I requested
the patches, I didn't even attempt to let them auto-route to me, I sent them
the "Send-To:" command in the body of the request with the "best" route to get
back to me.

The confusion probably arose because Kim Storm decided to stop upgrading v6.3
over usenet (which was at version 6.3.5), but supplied an upgraded version of
nn for ftp (v6.3.7).  Unfortunately, a bug in nnmaster's handling of the from
line needed to be fixed, and a usenet patchlevel 6.3.6 was created that only
fixed this problem (the ftp version fixed this problem in v6.3.8).  The patch
set now known as "patch #7" actually turns usenet v6.3.6 into ftp v6.3.7, at
which time you should apply patches 8-10 to it to bring it up-to-date.  Ok?
Did I lose you?

The best solution is probably to take Kim up on his offer to supply usenet with
version 6.3.12 when he has debugged it a bit more.  I'd suggest posting the
sources to comp.sources.misc.  This makes sure that the source is automatically
archived (and thus prepares us for all the "where's version 6.3.12?" requests)
as well as avoiding the net complaints that would arise from having such a
large increase in bandwidth for a non-source group.
--
Wayne Davison          \  /| / /| \/ /| /(_)         davison@drivax.UUCP
                      (_)/ |/ /\| / / |/  \          ...!amdahl!drivax!davison

cmp7130@sys.uea.ac.uk (R.M. O'Neill) (02/06/90)

molenda@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Jason "Hax R Us" Molenda) writes:

>steve@gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve A Rooke) writes:
>    ... I don't have nn-6.3.7.tar.Z
>    here right now as ...
>    ... the copy I just ftp'ed a short while back had
>    a checksum error in it when I tried to untar it.

I had the same problem, when getting this version, and so this might be
relevant to you.

I got it indirectly, and had a uuencoded-compressed-tar file...

It turned out that most uudecoders were not uudecoding it correctly. The
best uudecoder I have found is in 'nn' (surprise surprise ?). I slaped a
false article header on, used "nn <file>" and ":decode" in nn. Uncompressed
and untar'ed fine !

The hard question for me, is now that I have nn 6.3.10, do I install that
or wait for the new 'posted' version. The answer depends on how long it
will be before the new version is posted.

  Richard,
| #include <picture.h>	             | UUCP:  ..|ukc|uea-sys|cmp7130 |
| Richard O'Neill, UEA, Norwich, UK  | Janet: cmp7130@uk.ac.uea.sys  |