[news.software.nn] Still on the wish list....

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (02/03/90)

I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY like to see:

A newsgroup selection menu.

Collapsing all "Re: "articles into one line in the article selection menu.

This would save me at least 30% of my reading time, and that's
what nn does best.
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  "May I take this opportunity of emphasizing that there is no cannibalism

chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (02/04/90)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>A newsgroup selection menu.
>Collapsing all "Re: "articles into one line in the article selection menu.

I would like to see this as well, but, because I am not having to write
this stuff, I'd like to see it user-configurable by newsgroup.  The
main reason for this is the author of the articles, basically.  There
are some groups I care more about the topic than the author and the
exact opposite in other groups (Sometimes RSexton slips in despite
my best efforts...)

Perhaps just a per newsgroup option to suppress the Re: followups lines
would suffice.

>This would save me at least 30% of my reading time, and that's
>what nn does best.
Besides, Sean has lotsa forum additions to contemplate...heh heh heh
>--
>***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
--
-- Daniel Chaney                                                             --
-- postmaster, newsguy, main archiver for ms.uky.edu (Univ of KY Math Sci)   --

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/05/90)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>A newsgroup selection menu.
>Collapsing all "Re: "articles into one line in the article selection menu.

Both are planned for 6.4.

chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) writes:
>I would like to see this as well, but, because I am not having to write
>this stuff, I'd like to see it user-configurable by newsgroup.

Sure, it will be on a per-group basis.

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (02/06/90)

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

|sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
|>A newsgroup selection menu.
|>Collapsing all "Re: "articles into one line in the article selection menu.

|Both are planned for 6.4.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

If you ever make "nn" T-shirts, I'll buy one.

Sean
--

mehl@cs.iastate.edu (Mark M Mehl) (02/06/90)

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>>A newsgroup selection menu.
>>Collapsing all "Re: "articles into one line in the article selection menu.

>Both are planned for 6.4.

>chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) writes:
>>I would like to see this as well, but, because I am not having to write
>>this stuff, I'd like to see it user-configurable by newsgroup.

>Sure, it will be on a per-group basis.

In addition, I would much perfer if "Re:" articles were displayed with
only their "Summary:" line showing rather than the ">" nn now uses in
the article menu.  The exception, of course, would be the first article
shown in the thread where the "Subject:" must also show as it does now.

The point here is that a given thread shifts, and the Summary: line
reflects the sub-title of the shift that the original Subject: line
lacks.  Finally, if/when this feature is added, nn should automatically
prompt for a Summary: line when doing a followup to encourage posters
to place a title on all their followups so this new feature becomes
most useful.

I appreciate that the "Summary:" line info is not presently stored in
the local (client) database, but if this is going to change in version
6.4, then perhaps this feature could be added in some future release of
6.4.* or something.  I realize that won't be soon; nevertheless, please
leave it on the wish list.  --Thanks
--
 /\ Mark M Mehl, alias Superticker (Supertickler to some)
<><> Internet: mehl@atanasoff.cs.IAstate.edu