[news.software.nn] Posting over nntp

steve@gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve A Rooke) (02/05/90)

I have just set-up nn to run over nntp.  To post articles I tried rsh but
this has a big permission problem so I looked at the mini inews that was
supplied with nntp.  This only supports piping pre-constructed articles
to it with headers and not the flags to specify newsgroup and title.
This meant that the `aux' shell script would allow me to post an article
but not to cancel it.  I have modified this script to construct the header
lines and pipe to inews -h.  Can this be born in mind in future releases
or does anyone have any other ideas?

Perhaps my nntp code is old and the latest release includes an inews that
supports all the flags.

No News is great news!

Steve
Steve Rooke  steve@gapos.bt.co.uk  (...mcvax!ukc!gapos!steve)  UK + 394 693595
BT, ITS/CS, Area 106, Anzani House,   | "You roll the dice with your heart
Trinity Ave, FELIXSTOWE, Suffolk, UK  |   and soul,  But some times you
#include <std/disclaimer>             |    just don't know." - Sam Brown

lamy@cs.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (02/06/90)

steve@gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve A Rooke) writes:

>but not to cancel it.  I have modified this script to construct the header
>lines and pipe to inews -h.  Can this be born in mind in future releases

Kim was given the patches and they are present at patchlevel 8 (if not
earlier).  One problem with posting over nntp is that the return codes from
the remote inews (invoked on the nntp server) sometimes appear to get lost and
the POST command returns ok when in fact the posting has failed (nntpd logs
the error message from the real inews but apparently loses the non-zero exit
status).  There is a similar oddity in which the fake inews seems not to
set the return code properly in certain circumstances.

If anyone has fixed either, I'd like a copy of the patch.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@cs.utoronto.ca, uunet!cs.utoronto.ca!lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4