[news.software.nn] Wyse50/60 problems with nn

root@iapic (Admin) (02/07/90)

We have just installed nn on our Sequent Balance 8000 running
Dynix 3.0.  Everything appears to work fine on networked computer
with vt100 emulations, dialup with vt100, and a wyse 60 running
under vt100 emulation.  Unfortunately most of our users work with
Wyse50 or 60 terminals.  The news is displayed correctly but when
the user trys to execute a command using the : nothing happens.  For
example, to post the user is to type ':post[rtn]'.  The cursor just
sits there and winks.

Obvious problem is the termcap.  I have spend the past 5 hours
comparing a termcap that works with nn but is an abomination in vi
to our termcap which has been working for several years.  If the
following lines are added to the termcap

	:ae=\EcD:as=\EcE:\
	:kb=^?:kd=^N:kl=^B:kr=^F:ku=^P:\
	:ke=\E~2:ks=\E~3:\

the cursor keys, home key generate various letters but don't move
where I want them to go. According to the Wyse manual, these
sequences manipulate the application mode of the terminal turning on
and off the keypad.  I have painfully eliminated the various other
parts of the termcap(s) as culprits.

I want to use nn but I use vi far more frequently and paid money for
cursor keys 8-).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  E-mail is
preferred.

Harold L. Trammel	hlt@iapic.cvm.uiuc.edu
IAPIC-CVM
Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/08/90)

root@iapic (Admin) writes:

>Unfortunately most of our users work with
>Wyse50 or 60 terminals.  The news is displayed correctly but when
>the user trys to execute a command using the : nothing happens.  For
>example, to post the user is to type ':post[rtn]'.  The cursor just
>sits there and winks.

The most plausible cause of this problem is that in nn, the
interpretation of arrow keys takes precedence over normal control
characters.

For example, on a WYSE 50 where the left-arrow key send a ^H, the
BACKSPACE key will be interpreted as the "left" key which has nothing
to do with "back-spacing" in nn (it depends on which command you bind
to the left key).

And if the down-arrow sends a ^J or ^M (linefeed or carriage return),
nn will falsely interpret the RETURN key as the "down" key, also when
you enter a : command.  I suspect that is the case with the WYSE.

There are some tricks to get around this problem, but whether they
work or not depend on the version you have.

The Backspace problem can be worked around in 6.3.7 by the command

	set erase-char left

The RETURN problem may be solved by the command

	map key down ^J

which maps the falsely interpreted RETURN key back to a linefeed.

This is a known bug which I hope to get fixed in the soon to be posted
6.3.12, but otherwise will be solved in 6.4 (which will have a new
function key recognition mechanism).

++Kim Storm
--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark