[news.software.nn] When to expect 6.3.12

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/08/90)

cmp7130@sys.uea.ac.uk (R.M. O'Neill) writes:

>The hard question for me, is now that I have nn 6.3.10, do I install that
>or wait for the new 'posted' version. The answer depends on how long it
>will be before the new version is posted.

Well, it may take a little longer than I had first expected.  As I
indicated in an article yesterday, there are some parts which I would
really like to debug a little better.  I think about a month or so;
then I will also have the time to update the manuals, which I had not
planned on doing much about until it was time to release 6.4.

And then you have to add the time to get the posting via the
comp.sources.whatever moderator.

Actually, I am now going to name the forthcoming release 6.4.0 rather
than 6.3.12.  The promised release 6.4 will then be named 6.5.

I think this will be ok, since the difference between 6.3.0 and 6.3.12
is probably greater than even the differences between release 1 and
release 4, so it is time for a new "base version".

The use of .newsrc and the ability to mark individual articles as
unread also makes it "something new".

So the schedule is:

6.4 (i.e. 6.3.12) will be posted around March 18th.  It will include:
	Fully .newsrc based.
	more advanced versions of nntidy, nngoback and nngrep.
	more options on nnmaster.
	per-group options (like IGNORE) in the GROUPS file.
	more flexible installation in networked environments.
	A new install program to further simplify installation.

6.5 will be "several months" away - maybe September.  It
will be a "major rewrite" of parts of the code, and will include:
	group selection menu
	collapsed menus
	maybe treaded menues.
	named macros and macros with arguments
	user-defined keymaps
	improved expire functionality (faster & better)
	and lots of other promised features.

7.0 will come early in 1991.  It will facilitate easy interfacing to
other user interfaces, e.g. X and emacs, which I hope to get others to
write.

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

ricks@shambhala.Berkeley.EDU (Rick L Spickelmier) (02/08/90)

Concerning NN 7.0:

If it is indeed easy (or at least not really hard...) I'd like
to take a crack at putting XRN on top of NN 7.0 when it comes
out in 1991.  A few of my XRN users have asked for XRN on top
of NN, but previous releases of NN made it somewhat difficult.

			Rick Spickelmier
			UC Berkeley