[news.software.nn] Suggestion: sorting threads by time instead of alphabetically

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (02/11/90)

I think that it would be better if the various threads in the article
selection menu were presented in chronological order instead of
alphabetical.  "psuedo followups" are common occurrences, but once you
alphabetize the menu the implicit ordering gets all messed up.

It is very hard to do this 'right', but some kind of simple chronological
ordering would come a lot closer than alphabetical order does...

  /Bernie\

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (02/12/90)

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

|I think that it would be better if the various threads in the article
|selection menu were presented in chronological order instead of
|alphabetical.  "psuedo followups" are common occurrences, but once you
|alphabetize the menu the implicit ordering gets all messed up.

I agree. I'd kind of like everything within a thread to be in chronological
order.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  "May I take this opportunity of emphasizing that there is no cannibalism

ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (02/13/90)

In article <14113@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>|I think that it would be better if the various threads in the article
>|selection menu were presented in chronological order instead of
>|alphabetical.  "psuedo followups" are common occurrences, but once you
>|alphabetize the menu the implicit ordering gets all messed up.
>
>I agree. I'd kind of like everything within a thread to be in chronological
>order.

While I'll grant that chronological sorting is a VERY nice idea, too many
machines out there:
    1) Fail to keep their clock time correct.
or, 2) Use weird time formats and/or zone names.

By far, #1 is the problem seen most often.  I suppose the question is whether
or not, in the real world, chronological sorting would cause more or fewer
problems.

What I would really like to see is sorting according to the References:
entries.  The problem with that stems from the propagation failures that
occur within the network, where the reply shows up before the original
article does.  Since not everyone is using NN, it's not likely to be fixed
anytime soon.

I suspect that the only way to fix it would involve a centralized network
authority.  Something that the UUCP network (UseNet) people (that's me!)
won't put up with.  [ All kowtow to the Great Anarchy! :-) :-) :-) ]

	"Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?"	| Edwin Wiles
    Schedule: (n.) An ever changing nightmare.	| NetExpress, Inc.
  ...!{hadron,sundc,pyrdc,uunet}!netxcom!ewiles	| 1953 Gallows Rd. Suite 300
       ewiles@iad-nxe.global-mis.DHL.COM	| Vienna, VA 22182

davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) (02/13/90)

cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) wrote:
} I think that it would be better if the various threads in the article
} selection menu were presented in chronological order instead of
} alphabetical.  "psuedo followups" are common occurrences, but once you
} alphabetize the menu the implicit ordering gets all messed up.

I agree completely.  That's why I patched nn to not only group the common
subjects together, but to also arrange the subjects in date order of their
first article.  This sorting works quite well, and I sent Kim the patch to
implement it last October or so.

Kim -- is my sort algorithm available in nn v6.4 [a.k.a. 6.3.12]?
--
Wayne Davison          \  /| / /| \/ /| /(_)         davison@drivax.UUCP
                      (_)/ |/ /\| / / |/  \          ...!amdahl!drivax!davison

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/13/90)

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

>I think that it would be better if the various threads in the article
>selection menu were presented in chronological order instead of
>alphabetical.

This will be the default sorting method in 6.4 (aka 6.3.12) thanks to
fixes provided by Wayne Davison.

The following orderings will be available:

subject		Subject thread order (default)
lexical		Subject lexical order (6.3 method)
sender		Sender lexical order, and in "date" order for each sender.
date		Posting date (and time)
arrival		Receive date (actually article numbers)

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark