[news.software.nn] Crosspost sequencing

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (02/14/90)

Here's my favorite nn pet peeve/feature request: I'd like crossposts to
be displayed in the first group which appears in my init sequence. From
what I can tell, they are currently displayed in the first group on the
Newsgroups: line. The problem is that there are lots of groups I don't
want to unsubscribe to, but also get to only once a week or so. It would
be nice for crosspostings sent first to those groups to instead appear
in the first group in the sequence that I read.

Alternative, kill based on the Newsgroups: line would be a distant, but
still ok, second choice.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.
New NNTP connections always available! Send mail if you're interested.

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/16/90)

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) writes:

>Here's my favorite nn pet peeve/feature request: I'd like crossposts to
>be displayed in the first group which appears in my init sequence.

If you have version 6.3.7 or later, you can just say

	set cross-filter-seq

in your init file (it is short for CROSS-post FILTERing on SEQuence).

This will be the default setting in 6.4.

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) (02/16/90)

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu wrote:
} Here's my favorite nn pet peeve/feature request: I'd like crossposts to
} be displayed in the first group which appears in my init sequence.

This is a good idea.  So good, in fact, that Kim has already thought of it and
has implemented it in his latest source.
--
Wayne Davison           \  /| / /| \/ /| /(_)    davison%drivax@uts.amdahl.com
davison@drivax.UUCP    (_)/ |/ /\| / / |/  \         ...!amdahl!drivax!davison