[news.software.nn] Prohibiting Shell escapes from within NN

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (02/17/90)

Has anyone hacked NN to disallow shell escapes?  If NN was to be used
in a BBS environment, it would be nice if you could stop people from
getting to the shell, vi, etc...

"#ifdef RESTRICT_SHELL" in the appropriate places would be nice.

Trying to avoid some work...
--
Doug Eastick -- eastick@me.utoronto.ca

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/19/90)

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:

>Has anyone hacked NN to disallow shell escapes?  If NN was to be used
>in a BBS environment, it would be nice if you could stop people from
>getting to the shell, vi, etc...

>"#ifdef RESTRICT_SHELL" in the appropriate places would be nice.

With 6.3.9 and later, there is a variable

	shell-restrictions

which can ONLY be set in the init file.  When set, it will prevent
shell escapes, it will prevent modifying certain variables like
mail-script and news-script (which would otherwise be a loop-hole),
and it will prevent saving through pipes.

But you will still have to do something about the EDITOR used when
composing mail and news articles - nn can't help you there if it
allows shell escapes.

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

cmp7130@sys.uea.ac.uk (R.M. O'Neill) (02/19/90)

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:
>Has anyone hacked NN to disallow shell escapes?  If NN was to be used
>in a BBS environment, it would be nice if you could stop people from
>getting to the shell, vi, etc...
>
>"#ifdef RESTRICT_SHELL" in the appropriate places would be nice.
>
>Trying to avoid some work...

A solution to your problem may already exist, and work for other things
besides 'nn'. Do :-

setenv SHELL /bin/echo   (or /my-path/my-shell-escape-command-ignorer )

before entering nn.

As far as I can see (and I could be wrong) there is no way to change the
SHELL environment variable once in 'nn' - thus its secure.

   Richard,
| #include <picture.h>	             | UUCP:  ..|ukc|uea-sys|cmp7130 |
| Richard O'Neill, UEA, Norwich, UK  | Janet: cmp7130@uk.ac.uea.sys  |

bill@fedeva.UUCP (Bill Daniels) (02/19/90)

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:

>Has anyone hacked NN to disallow shell escapes?  If NN was to be used
>in a BBS environment, it would be nice if you could stop people from
>getting to the shell, vi, etc...

>"#ifdef RESTRICT_SHELL" in the appropriate places would be nice.

>Trying to avoid some work...
>--
>Doug Eastick -- eastick@me.utoronto.ca

I have worked with this a little and found that specifying a short script
as the users shell in the passwd file keeps the user from using ! commands.
My script sets the TERM environment variable then calls nn.  Give it a try!

--
bill daniels
federal express, memphis, tn