[news.software.nn] Would you like me to post nn 6.3.12 here?

mshappe@heights.cit.cornell.edu (Mike Shappe {Uncle Mikey}) (02/03/90)

I like the idea, myself.  We've been using NN here at Cornell InfoTech on
this small machine (NeXT) as a test to see if it's feasible to put up on
something larger.  So far, reaction (limited tho' it is right now) is
positive.  I generally like to have the latest working version
up-and-running, so I would appreciate '12 being posted...

MSS
--
Mike Shappe (Uncle Mikey)
Cornell Information Technologies Workstation Resources

news@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (02/03/90)

Please do post patches to bring nn up to 6.3.12 and post them here by all
means. (Maybe crosspost them to comp.sources.bugs as well). That way you
will probably get a greater feedback on bugs contained in that version.
If there are few bugs, I at least would be greatly interested in seeing
nn 6.3.12 posted here. That way all the diverging versions would probably
be united again.

M. Boening
--
Martin Boening, c/o Nixdorf Computer AG, DS-CC2, Paderborn, West-Germany
Email:                                 |  Phone: (+49) 5251 146155

steve@gapos.bt.co.uk (Steve Rooke) (02/04/90)

That's a big YES from me Kim.  And thanks for supplying us with such a fine
product!

---
In real life:  Steve Rooke
E-Mail:        steve@gapos.bt.co.uk    (...mcvax!ukc!axion!gapos!steve)
Telephone:     UK + 394 693595               _______________________________
Gold:          73:TBP271                     |"You roll the dice with      |
Snail Mail:    BT, ITS/CCMP, Room 106        |  your heart and soul,       |
               Anzani House,Trinity Ave,     |  But some times you just    |
               FELIXSTOWE, Suffolk, UK.      |  don't know" - Sam Brown    |
                                             |_____________________________|
#include <std/disclaimer>

tempest@wet.UUCP (Ken Lui) (02/06/90)

In article <451@texas.dk> storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>Since 6.4 will not be released in the near future, I could spend some
>time fixing the known bugs in 6.3.12, and then post the complete
>package (will be 15-20 shar parts) to news.software.nn in a couple of
>weeks from now.

It would be great if the patches from 6.3.10->6.3.12 could also
be either made available to the ftp site or posted as well.  That
would save much time; also, why not post patches for
6.3.6->6.3.12 and 6.3.1->6.3.12?

Ken

     Kenneth K.F. Lui	   |  UUCP:	...{ucsfcca|claris}!wet!tempest
     tempest@wet.UUCP	   |  Internet:	cca.ucsf.edu!wet!tempest@cgl.ucsf.edu

colin@tenset.UUCP (Colin Manning) (02/07/90)

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>Since 6.4 will not be released in the near future, I could spend some
>time fixing the known bugs in 6.3.12, and then post the complete
>package (will be 15-20 shar parts) to news.software.nn in a couple of
>weeks from now.

>Interest?  Objections?

Yes please.
And thanks for giving us an excellent news reader.
- Colin

| colin@tenset.uucp or        | Post: Tenset Technologies Limited,    |
|  ..!ukc!acorn!tenset!colin  |       Norfolk House,                  |
| Phone: +44 223 328886       |       301 Histon Road,                |
| Fax:   +44 223 460929       |       Cambridge CB4 3NF, UK.          |

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/08/90)

tempest@wet.UUCP (Ken Lui) writes:

>It would be great if the patches from 6.3.10->6.3.12 could also
>be either made available to the ftp site or posted as well.

The problem with going from 6.3.10 to 6.3.12 is that some files are no
longer used, some new files have been added, and some files have
been renamed.  To accomplish this in patch form is not easy.

>  That would save much time;

I fail to see why this should save time compared to unsharing 20 parts
(which nn will do happily for you :-) and redoing the configuration
of config.h which you will have to do anyway because 6.3.12 will not
compile with an older config.h!

> also, why not post patches for 6.3.6->6.3.12 and 6.3.1->6.3.12?

Same reason as above.  Furthermore, I have made the following calculations:

A full nn 6.3.12 distribution is about 850 k which can be split into
17 parts of 50k each.

The diffs from 6.3.1 to 6.3.12 are 600k plus about 100k new files, and
the diffs from 6.3.6 will be about 400k plus 100k new files.

Each of these are comparable in size with the full distribution, and
together they are much bigger.  Posting all would be a waste of net
bandwidth in my opinion (2M compared to "just" 850k).

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

mike@cochise.pcs.com (Mike Schroeder) (02/20/90)

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

->Presently, there seems to be three favourite versions of nn around:

[.....]

->I would like to hear your comments on the following proposal:

->Since 6.4 will not be released in the near future, I could spend some
->time fixing the known bugs in 6.3.12, and then post the complete
->package (will be 15-20 shar parts) to news.software.nn in a couple of
->weeks from now.

->Then everybody will have the newest "working" release of nn 6.3 (the
->code for 6.4 is definitely not running currently!), and I could post
->small patches to this release if that becomes necessary (bug fixes
->only!).

->Interest?  Objections?

                        Y     Y EEEEEEE  SSSSS
                         Y   Y  E       S     S
                          Y Y   E       S
                           Y    EEEEE    SSSSS
                           Y    E             S
                           Y    E       S     S
                           Y    EEEEEEE  SSSSS

I think quite a couple of us do not have Internet access and so
have no chance of getting the patches. So please give us a current
version of nn NOW!

Thanx and cheers
---
Mike Schroeder		PCS-Mail: msc
DOMAIN:  msc@cochise.pcs.de (EUR) or  msc@cochise.pcs.com  (US)
BANG:    ..unido!pcsbst!msc (EUR) or  ..pyramid!pcsbst!msc (US)