[news.software.nn] G whiz

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (02/14/90)

I'm somewhat confused by the G command. Often I want to go back
to read articles in the same group I am in. If I G<ret>,
sometimes I get an equal sign (for a subject regexp) and other
times I get the minimenu of: all, unread, subject.

What controls which I get, and how can I force the menu to be
displayed? Sometimes not even specifying the group by name will
do it, and I must exit nn and reenter via nn-g.

What am I overlooking? Honest I did RTFM, it's on pages 11,12&13......

--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/17/90)

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:

>I'm somewhat confused by the G command. Often I want to go back
>to read articles in the same group I am in. If I G<ret>,
>sometimes I get an equal sign (for a subject regexp) and other
>times I get the minimenu of: all, unread, subject.

Actually, it is quite simple:

If there are more articles (read or unread) in the group than is
presently shown on the menu, the G command will give you the menu,
and you can choose whether you want to include some more articles or
search for a subject.

If there are no extra articles in the group, the only choice you would
have on the menu is to search for a subject, so that is what it
assumes you are going to do.  So it skips the menu, and goes directly
to the "enter subject" prompt (the = sign).

>What controls which I get, and how can I force the menu to be
>displayed? Sometimes not even specifying the group by name will
>do it, and I must exit nn and reenter via nn-g.

The only other purpose for which you might want the menu to appear to
be able to DECREASE the number of articles on the menu.  However, that
is not possible, so what would you use the menu for?

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

chl@cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) (02/19/90)

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>If there are more articles (read or unread) in the group than is
>presently shown on the menu, the G command will give you the menu,
>and you can choose whether you want to include some more articles or
>search for a subject.

>If there are no extra articles in the group, the only choice you would
>have on the menu is to search for a subject, so that is what it
>assumes you are going to do.  So it skips the menu, and goes directly
>to the "enter subject" prompt (the = sign).

BUT maybe the reason I typed the G command was that I just "thought" there
might be some more, older stuff around (I intended to type All next). But I
was wrong, there was nothing above what was already shown. In this situation,
the last thing I want to do is to give a subject. I would rather just see the
complete menu (unchanged, maybe).

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/21/90)

chl@cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) writes:
>BUT maybe the reason I typed the G command was that I just "thought" there
>might be some more, older stuff around (I intended to type All next).

You are right, but for the moment, just answering (return) to the "="
prompt will cancel the G command, so it is fairly easy to "get around"
this problem.

However, I can see that the current behaviour may cause problems
inside a macro, since you don't know whether the G command will give
a menu or not.  So it should probably be changed to always give
the "Number of Articles" prompt.  The default action in the "no more
articles" case could then be "=".