[news.software.nn] Another feature request

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) (02/23/90)

One more for the Wish List:

One feature that I like a lot is the "l," which will return me to a
particular article once I've read everything in a particular newsgroup.

As I'm finding my time to reply and post dwindle due to pressures at
work, I have to be more and more selective about what I choose to reply
to.  That's why it would be great to have a command similar to "l," but
which would return me to the articles that I'm interested in after
I've read *all* the newsgroups, just before I would normally exit nn.
Then I could decide what seems most urgently in need of a response
without having to save them out as files somewhere.

Thanks again for a great newsreader.

Karen
--
   Karen Valentino  <>  Everex North (Everex Systems)  <>  Sebastopol, CA
       karen@everexn.uu.net      ..{apple, well}!fico2!everexn!karen

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/26/90)

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) writes:

>One feature that I like a lot is the "l," which will return me to a
>particular article once I've read everything in a particular newsgroup.

>  That's why it would be great to have a command similar to "l," but
>which would return me to the articles that I'm interested in after
>I've read *all* the newsgroups, just before I would normally exit nn.

I release 6.4, the 'l' command will not just select the articles you
leave with the 'l' command as 6.3 does.  When you have finished
reading a group in which you have l'ed some articles, it will ask you:

	Show left over articles now?

If you answer yes, nn will select the l'ed articles as 6.3 did, but if
you answer no, nn will mark the articles as unread in .newsrc and
continue with the next group.  Then when you are finished reading all
groups, you can use the "confirm-auto-quit" variable to let nn reread
the groups in which you left some articles (i.e. the groups which
still have unread articles).

There is also an 'L' command which will just mark articles unread, but
not cause nn to offer to select them after reading the current group.

I think that will "almost" match this requirement, but I can see a
slight improvement:  that the 'L' command marks the groups in which it
is used, and nn will offer to reread these groups when you quit.

A small change, but I think it would be useful...

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark