[news.software.nn] scroll mode?

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (02/25/90)

Is there a way to get nn to scroll articles rather than page them
with a clear-screen.  Rn has this option, and I much prefer it.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (02/25/90)

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

}Is there a way to get nn to scroll articles rather than page them
}with a clear-screen.  Rn has this option, and I much prefer it.

Actually, the mode I prefer [as long as we're asking...:-)] is page-mode but
*without* the clear screen: so I can flip to the next page as I'm reading
the last few lines of the current page, and then just smoothly continue
reading at the top of the page without any discontinuities...

  /Bernie\

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/27/90)

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:

>Actually, the mode I prefer [as long as we're asking...:-)] is page-mode but
>*without* the clear screen: so I can flip to the next page as I'm reading
>the last few lines of the current page, and then just smoothly continue
>reading at the top of the page without any discontinuities...

I agree with Bernie on this - and it is definitely the easiest thing
to make nn do - so I just did it!

In 6.4, there will be a variable "scroll-clear-page" which is set by
default, and causes the screen to be cleared before displaying the next
page of an article.  If it is not set, nn will do as Bernie suggests.

Doesn't make much difference at 19200 baud though (but maybe I'm just
a slow reader :-).

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

vanMelle.pa@Xerox.com (Bill van Melle) (02/28/90)

In article <479@texas.dk> storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>In 6.4, there will be a variable "scroll-clear-page" which is set by
>default, and causes the screen to be cleared before displaying the next
>page of an article.  If it is not set, nn will do as Bernie suggests.

The reason I much prefer a rolling scroll mode, as in rn, is that when
advancing to the final page of the article, I still get to see some of
the previous page on the screen.  This is particularly nice in the case
where a message consists of a small amount of text (typically concluding
with a "spoilers follow"), a formfeed, and a small amount of text.  In
rn I can see this whole message on the screen at once, but nn insists on
blanking the screen before showing the second half.

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (03/03/90)

vanMelle.pa@Xerox.com (Bill van Melle) writes:

>The reason I much prefer a rolling scroll mode, as in rn, is that when
>advancing to the final page of the article, I still get to see some of
>the previous page on the screen.

I can see the advantages of this, and I have made some code which
*almost* works for this as well (scroll-at-bottom).  But for some
reason which I have not yet figured out, the added code to do this
breaks the / command....  So this will not be part of the initial
6.4.0 - but maybe in a future patch...