[news.software.nn] Info request: which sysV based systems have rename

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (05/26/90)

In <562@texas.dk> storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>To avoid breaking any systems which are currently working, I will not
>simply turn on NO_RENAME in s-sys5.h.  However, I plan to do this
>in patch #5 (whenever that is required), so I am looking for information
>regarding the availability of the rename() call on sysV based systems
>using one of the following s- files:

>	s-aux1-1.h
>[...]

>Please tell me which of the following choices are true:

>1) It has rename() as a standard call

Yes, this is true. There is a rename(2) in A/UX 1.1

I don't know about A/UX 2.0 because, despite us supposedly being
a beta test site for 2.0, we have yet to receive it from the
local Apple technical rep Steve Feibus.

aem
--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Man is here for the sake of other men.			- Albert Einstein

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (05/29/90)

In <1990May25.235237.2288@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:

>In <562@texas.dk> storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>>To avoid breaking any systems which are currently working, I will not
>>simply turn on NO_RENAME in s-sys5.h.  However, I plan to do this
>>in patch #5 (whenever that is required), so I am looking for information
>>regarding the availability of the rename() call on sysV based systems
>>using one of the following s- files:

>>Please tell me which of the following choices are true:

>>1) It has rename() as a standard call

>Yes, this is true. There is a rename(2) in A/UX 1.1

It is also true for A/UX 2.0. We have found it often easier to
port things to A/UX 1.1.1 by claiming it to be a BSD system and
then fixing small irritations. The thing that gives most
problems is having to use SysV terminal handling.

PS. Liked nn a lot - is there an A/UX port yet?
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP