[news.software.nn] Interactive rlogin problem with nn

andy@xwkg.Icom.Com (Andrew H. Marrinson) (10/30/90)

Hello,

I am having a very strange problem trying to use nn across an rlogin session
under Interactive Systems release 2.0.2.  I have nn version 6.4.9.

The problem is that whenever I run nn while logged in from another machine
via rlogin some output disappears.  The problem only occurs when both
client and server rlogin are ISC's.  The problem goes away when either
client or server (or both) are (e.g.) SCO ODT.  The problem also does
not occur with telnet (including ISC's).  It does seem to occur with
ISC's new 2.2 Unix (at least as a client).

The strange thing is it only happens with nn!  No other program does
this including rn, emacs, vi, etc.

Further investigation with a network analyzer shows that the missing
data is always the contents of a packet with the urgent pointer set.
The urgent pointer points to the last byte of the packet which contains
the value 03H.  I have looked at the latest rlogind source, and as far
as I can tell, this might happen when input and output are being flushed.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out where nn might be doing this.  A quick
check of term.c shows an ioctl to flush the input, but a quick test program
that does that doesn't reproduce the behavior.

At this point I am not so much looking for a fix, I'd be happy to find
someone who has had similar problems with nn or another program.  Also,
anyone who has any idea under what circumstances ISC's rlogind would
send OOB data as described above would be helpful.  The rlogind source
I have is almost certainly newer than what ISC based their port on, so
it only gives me an idea of what might be happening.

This is a real drag.  Any help at all would be appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.
--
		Andrew H. Marrinson
		Icom Systems, Inc.

iand@labtam.oz (Ian Donaldson) (10/31/90)

In article <andy.657229514@xwkg>, andy@xwkg.Icom.Com (Andrew H. Marrinson) writes:
> The problem is that whenever I run nn while logged in from another machine
> via rlogin some output disappears.  The problem only occurs when both
> client and server rlogin are ISC's.  The problem goes away when either
> client or server (or both) are (e.g.) SCO ODT.  The problem also does
> not occur with telnet (including ISC's).  It does seem to occur with
> ISC's new 2.2 Unix (at least as a client).
>
> The strange thing is it only happens with nn!  No other program does
> this including rn, emacs, vi, etc.

I have seen this problem many times on many variants of OS including

	SUNOS 3.5
	SUNOS 4.0.3
	SVR3.2/i386 + Lachmann TCP

using both telnet and rlogin, using nn 6.3.10.  It has been around
for a long time (at least since nn 6.3.5) and the usual
workaround is to hit ^L a few times until you see all the selections in
the menu.  However the number of times it occurs is very low, maybe
once per nn session covering about 30 news groups.

Your followup seems to indicate that it is System-V termio specific,
but I beleive it isn't restricted to termio TCSETAF, as I've observed
it with BSD-environment compiled nn's too (SUNOS).

Ian D