[news.software.nn] Pnews failure

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (11/29/90)

I am running Cnews on a Sun 4/260 running OS4.0.3. (nntp)

Is there a reason why my articles don't always get posted?  I tried
to post to comp.sys.sun, and all looked like it went well, but when
I looked in /var/spool/news/out.going there was nothing there.  I
then tried to post to misc.test, and it went out ok.  This has
happened a couple times now.  Any ideas why?

Thanks.
--
                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.154648.4647@ssd.kodak.com>, dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
> I am running Cnews on a Sun 4/260 running OS4.0.3. (nntp)
> Is there a reason why my articles don't always get posted?  I tried
> to post to comp.sys.sun, and all looked like it went well, but when
> I looked in /var/spool/news/out.going there was nothing there.  I
> then tried to post to misc.test, and it went out ok.  This has
> happened a couple times now.  Any ideas why?

 That's because comp.sys.sun (among others) is a moderated newsgroup,
meaning your "post" gets mailed to the moderator of the group. He/she
then makes the articles show up. comp.sys.sun's had a bit of lag time
lately, but Bob Greene said he's working to try to improve it.

--
    Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
 Widener University in Chester PA              A Bloody Sun-vs-Dec War Zone

In article <1990Nov29.154648.4647@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
>Is there a reason why my articles don't always get posted?  I tried
>to post to comp.sys.sun, and all looked like it went well, but when
>I looked in /var/spool/news/out.going there was nothing there...

Comp.sys.sun is a moderated newsgroup, and you are not allowed to post
to it yourself.  Assuming things are configured right, your posting got
mailed to the moderator for his consideration.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

root@athena.cs.uga.edu (Operator) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov29.154648.4647@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
>I am running Cnews on a Sun 4/260 running OS4.0.3. (nntp)
>
>Is there a reason why my articles don't always get posted?  I tried
>to post to comp.sys.sun, and all looked like it went well, but when
>I looked in /var/spool/news/out.going there was nothing there.  I
>then tried to post to misc.test, and it went out ok.  This has
>happened a couple times now.  Any ideas why?
>
>Thanks.
>--
>                  Don Cox
>Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998
>INTERNET    dcox@ssd.kodak.com
>When an eel bites your leg, and the pain makes you beg, that's a moray!

Check your /usr/lib/news/mailpaths file. This should contain the e-mail
addresses for the moderators of the various groups. comp.sys.sun is
moderated while misc.test is not. Gary Barber, UGA