[news.software.nn] REPLY: Why use NN when there is TRN???

scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Christian Marcotte) (11/24/90)

  Since the only responses I got from my question: "Why use NN when there
  is TRN?" were people asking me where I could get TRN, I decided to
  advertise this FINE product a bit...

  TRN IS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO USENET SINCE NNTP & CNEWS !!!

  Wayne Davison wrote it in 1990.  It's a superset to rn (the most
  popular news reader in the world).  It can be toggled from enhanced
  TRN mode to good old unefficient rn (Useful if not all your co-worker
  appreciate innovation...)

  Here is part of the documentation file we wrote when installing
  TRN on our net:

# 			TRN version 1.0
#
#   Ftp Sources:	caesar.cs.montana.edu    After 5 pm...
#			uunet.uu.net (under /news)
#

	TRN is an enhanced version of the world popular RN by Larry Wall.

	It can be used as rn with no difference from the original or
	we can switch on the TRN options.

	These options bring us two main features:

		A menu to select (tag) the articles that we want
		to read or mark as read.

		A tree displaying the conversation threads between
		the articles (plus the commands to move in that tree).

		Overall, it speeds up the news reading and clarifies
		the links  between articles.

	Read news.software.b for articles concerning trn.
	(Maybe a newsgroup news.software.trn will eventually be
	 created.)

	To maintain data about the threads between articles, TRN has
	it's own little database (about 2Meg for 45Meg of news).

	Trn can be installed straihgt or NNTP option (like rrn).

	We've been using this baby for a couple of months now without a
	single bug (EVER).

	News reading is now REALLY EFFICIENT  thanks to TRN !!!

	Good luck !!!

			Scoob

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (11/24/90)

scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Christian Marcotte) writes:

>	We've been using this baby for a couple of months now without a
>	single bug (EVER).

>	News reading is now REALLY EFFICIENT  thanks to TRN !!!

what does trn offer over nn?  We've been running nn now for almost
a year - without any problems --
 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov23.160854.13868@vlsi.polymtl.ca> scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Christian Marcotte) writes:

>  Since the only responses I got from my question: "Why use NN when there
>  is TRN?" were people asking me where I could get TRN, I decided to
>  advertise this FINE product a bit...

Yep... Trn sounds fine. But it isn't available to "the rest of us".

>  TRN IS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO USENET SINCE NNTP & CNEWS !!!

Uh, to Usenet or to the portion of Usenet on the Internet.

>  Here is part of the documentation file we wrote when installing
>  TRN on our net:
>
>##########################################################################
># 			TRN version 1.0
>#
>#   Ftp Sources:	caesar.cs.montana.edu    After 5 pm...
>#			uunet.uu.net (under /news)
>#
>###########################################################################

Nice, but no help to us poor UUCP-only sites.

jim

--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (11/25/90)

jimb@silvlis.com writes:
   Yep... Trn sounds fine. But it isn't available to "the rest of us".
   Uh, to Usenet or to the portion of Usenet on the Internet.
   Nice, but no help to us poor UUCP-only sites.

You can anon uucp to uunet.

Regardless, it's now on osu-cis; request "osu-cis!~/rn/trn/trn.??.Z"
for ?? between 01 and 11.

duc@grumbly.UUCP (Richard Ducoty) (11/25/90)

scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Christian Marcotte) writes:

>  Since the only responses I got from my question: "Why use NN when there
>  is TRN?" were people asking me where I could get TRN, I decided to
>  advertise this FINE product a bit...

>  TRN IS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO USENET SINCE NNTP & CNEWS !!!
=======================================

I just got off the phone to God, he and I agree - nn is much better than
trn.  We have used both - no contest.

The reason rn is the 'most popular' is that it's packed along with the
news much of the time.  People, being the cheap, lazy creatures,
don't always expend the extra effort to get a decent reader.

Off the record - you're going to spend a couple extra weeks in
Purgatory if you keep using trn/rn.

\\\
 - -   Richard Ducoty                                ..uunet!grumbly!duc
 _]    Capitola, California                            duc@grumbly.com

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (11/25/90)

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes:

>Nice, but no help to us poor UUCP-only sites.

nstar has an extensive software collection on-line that includes
that latest release of trn -- all available to dialup BBS users
via multiple high speed (V.32/Telebit PEP and USR HST 14.4) lines -

for more information, send email to address below:

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (11/26/90)

In article <14@grumbly.UUCP> duc@grumbly.UUCP (Richard Ducoty) writes:
>The reason rn is the 'most popular' is that it's packed along with the
>news much of the time.  People, being the cheap, lazy creatures,
>don't always expend the extra effort to get a decent reader.

vnews and readnews are part of BNEWS. CNEWS has its varients.
rn 4.3 came with BSD 4.3, and a patch kit to make it work with nntp was
packaged with nntp for awhile. However, rn was not and is not part of
the news distibution, per se.

Go read the document on the news software. It is posted monthly to
news.announce.newusers.

The biggest problem with nn and trn is the fact that they (currently) have
incompatible thread databases. In fact, it would be a pretty neat idea
to build some kind of standard interface for doing this kind of thing
so that it could be ported to more news readers or architecture other
than Unix! We might be able to move some of this proposed standard
interface back into NNTP. However, Unix NNTP has enough problems trying to
cope with the differences in the two BACK-end (CNEWS and BNEWS) to be
mutilated into supporting two different threading architectures.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support

wje@siia.mv.com (Bill Ezell) (11/26/90)

In <1990Nov24.075800.23631@silvlis.com> jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes:

>Yep... Trn sounds fine. But it isn't available to "the rest of us".
>Nice, but no help to us poor UUCP-only sites.

I don't see what the problem is. We've been running trn for a few months now,
and we are a 'uucp only' site.

Personally, I still prefer nn, but then again, I've only tried trn once.
My philosophy about such matters is, I have enough real things to do, I
don't need to waste time learning yet another package, unless the one
I'm currently using doesn't meet my needs. The X command in nn matches my
needs perfectly.
--
Bill Ezell
Software Innovations, Inc.

scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Christian Marcotte) (11/26/90)

	I  see some people are not on the Internet.
	I'm very sorry.  When at university, you imagine that everyone
	has those magic connections to the on line world.

	On the other hand, I got my initial copy of trn ON USENET !!!

	I do not know of any UUCP sites (or actually, UUNET does, doesn't it?)
	If so, you can get TRN on uunet in dir comp.sources.unix
	under  volume 20-21or 22 (I'm not sure) in 500K packets
	(the standard Usenet comp.sources.unix format).  I have no clue on
	how to get stuff over UUCP but I'm sure you guys without
	Internet have learned all the tricks long ago.

	If someone would be kind enough to give more details on how
	to get TRN over uucp please stand up...  (POST IT !!!)

	Good Luck.
	(I hope you get  your hands on it: IT'S WORTH IT!!!)

	Scoob

huntting@crimson.csn.org (Brad Huntting) (11/27/90)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
|scoob@vlsi.polymtl.ca (Christian Marcotte) writes:
|>	News reading is now REALLY EFFICIENT  thanks to TRN !!!
|what does trn offer over nn?  We've been running nn now for almost
|a year - without any problems --

I have no experience with trn, but we have one machine on campus which
uses nn.

It consistently consumes more resources (by number of articles
requested, cpu time, connect time, you name it) than any other machine
on campus.  The number of readers on this machine is only a fraction of
the next runner up though.  I assume that this is because nn reads ALL
article headers off the server regardless of wheather someone want's
them.

Is anyone working on a better nntp-nn interface?  For that matter just
a better caching stratagy would be nice...  Does nn use XHDR to grab
groups of headers deemed importaint?  Could it be set up to cache only
locally read newsgroups?  Perhaps only asking for the headers when
someone read's them?

brad

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (11/28/90)

In news.software.b, article <2867@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>,
  sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
<
< The biggest problem with nn and trn is the fact that they (currently) have
< incompatible thread databases. In fact, it would be a pretty neat idea
< to build some kind of standard interface for doing this kind of thing
< so that it could be ported to more news readers or architecture other
< than Unix! We might be able to move some of this proposed standard
< interface back into NNTP. However, Unix NNTP has enough problems trying to
< cope with the differences in the two BACK-end (CNEWS and BNEWS) to be
< mutilated into supporting two different threading architectures.
<
It might help to have at least a somewhat-standard way to get (part of?) a
thread file/database from the server. Something like...

C> DBASE TRN news.software.b [section] [range] [whatever]
S> 3xy 3628 bytes follow
S> [ sends 3628 bytes of binary data ]
S> 2yz Got that?

As it is now, trn users must have a local database (unless they can use NFS
-- I dunno about NN), and each host which runs trn ends up reading every
article. Not good.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (11/28/90)

In article <t4zlg2.yp1@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>It might help to have at least a somewhat-standard way to get (part of?) a
>thread file/database from the server. Something like...
>
>C> DBASE TRN news.software.b [section] [range] [whatever]
>S> 3xy 3628 bytes follow
>S> [ sends 3628 bytes of binary data ]
>S> 2yz Got that?

I implemented something like that here.  I added a command to nntpd that
causes it to read the trn thread file and spit out it out in an ascii-fied
format.  I patched trn to ask for the thread information from the server
and slurp up the response.  Instead of providing a way for trn to fetch
the active2 file, I hacked relaynews to update the .thread files as it
is processing articles, eliminating the need for active2.

This system works pretty well, but it is a nightmare to maintain (which
is the main reason I haven't installed the recent CNEWS patches).

I'd love it if there were a standard database and the proper extensions
to the NNTP protocol so that I could run software straight out of the
box again.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

>Yep... Trn sounds fine. But it isn't available to "the rest of us".

Not true, actually - it's available to more folks than just those on the
Internet....

>>#   Ftp Sources:	caesar.cs.montana.edu    After 5 pm...
>>#			uunet.uu.net (under /news)

>Nice, but no help to us poor UUCP-only sites.

But with the added information that "uunet.uu.net" is also a UUCP site
(obviously), that it offers a 900 number that non-customers can use to
retrieve stuff, that its anonymous FTP directory is also its
"uucppublic" directory, and that UUNET also sells tapes of its archives
as well, it *is* of help to UUCP-only sites - or, at least, those in the
US and possibly Canada (I don't know what the scoop is outside those
countries, but on other continents you might want to retrieve it from an
archive nearer to you regardless of whether you're using UUCP *or* FTP).

The files in question are in the "news" subdirectory of the anonymous
FTP/"uucppublic" directory, so you want to retrieve "~/news/trn.tar.Z".

If you're a UUNET customer, you should be able to just do

	uucp uunet!~/news/trn.tar.Z <whatever directory you want it in>

If you're not, the 900 number for anonymous UUCP is +1-900-GOT-SRCS; the
charge is 40 cents per minute.  I don't know how you set up anonymous
UUCP to UUNET; presumably somebody else out there knows, or you can
probably just call UUNET or mail to them using the phone number or email
address in the blurb below.

For getting the archives on tape, the blurb from UUNET is:

                  UUNET Source Archives on Tape

     UUNET is making its  collection  of  freely  redistributable
UNIX source archives available on tape to any interested parties.

     UUNET has over 500 megabytes of source archives on line  for
UUNET  subscribers to access. These archives are now available to
anyone.  They are distributed on three 6250 bpi half inch  tapes.
All  files are compressed (except the compress program itself) to
save space.  The all inclusive cost of these tapes is  $225  with
prepayment  or $275 otherwise. The distribution is also available
on seven 1/4" cartridge tapes (QIC-24, 60 megabyte tapes, Sun com-
patible)  for an additional $175. (i.e. $400 prepaid, $450 other-
wise)

     All sources are the latest available versions  at  the  time
the  tape  is  written. Included on the tape are the MIT X Window
System, Version 11 Release 4 plus fixes and lots  of  contributed
software  (200 megabytes); the complete comp.sources.unix archive
(80 megabytes); the TEX text processing  system  (46  megabytes);
all   available   GNU   software  (40  megabytes);  the  complete
comp.sources.games archive (40 megabytes); the  freely  redistri-
butable  software  from the 4.3BSD-Tahoe & Networking releases of
Berkeley UNIX (20 megabytes); various networking related programs
(30  megabytes);  all  the  Internet  RFCs  (14  megabytes);  the
comp.std.unix standards archives (10 megabytes); and lots more.

     To obtain the tape distribution or for  further  information
contact:

                  UUNET Communications Services
               3110 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 570
                     Falls Church, VA 22042
                     +1 703 876 5050 (voice)
                      +1 703 876 5059 (fax)
                        info@uunet.uu.net

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov24.075800.23631@silvlis.com> jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes:
>Yep... Trn sounds fine. But it isn't available to "the rest of us".

It was posted to comp.sources.something-or-other a few days ago.

Nuff said,
--
\/ato.  Ian Dickinson.      GNU's feelin' horny.    Send your dollars, Homeboy,
vato@warwick.ac.uk                Sabeq.            I'm a Pink Boy for "Bob"