[news.software.nn] newsreaders may ignore comp.unix.wizards

gwc@root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) (02/01/91)

Former readers of comp.unix.wizards who are puzzled, as I was until just
now, that they have not seen the re-created group yet, may be interested
to learn that some newsreaders are ignoring it.

I was curious that the group had apparently not been re-created and checked
in the active file on our system, only to find that it was there after all.
A little investigation revealed that my newsreader (nn) had ignored it
because my .newsrc still had a line left over from the last incarnation of
comp.unix.wizards showing articles 1-19898 as read.  As the re-created
group started again from article number 1, nn has been treating all
articles as already read.  Other newsreaders may be doing the same.

So if you haven't seen comp.unix.wizards yet, check your .newsrc!

--
Geoff Clare <gwc@root.co.uk>  (Dumb American mailers: ...!uunet!root.co.uk!gwc)
UniSoft Limited, London, England.   Tel: +44 71 729 3773   Fax: +44 71 729 3273

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (02/01/91)

In article <2590@root44.co.uk> gwc@root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) writes:
>I was curious that the group had apparently not been re-created and checked
>in the active file on our system, only to find that it was there after all.
>A little investigation revealed that my newsreader (nn) had ignored it
>because my .newsrc still had a line left over from the last incarnation of
>comp.unix.wizards showing articles 1-19898 as read.  As the re-created
>group started again from article number 1, nn has been treating all
>articles as already read.  Other newsreaders may be doing the same.

Unless of course, you never delgroup'ed it in the first place....

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan