[news.software.nn] problem with default distribution of a followup.

barrett@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P Barrett) (05/01/91)

[Added news.software.b to the Newsgroups, since this is about C News as
well as nn.  --apb]

In article <ccfj.672860685@hippo>,
ccfj@hippo.ru.ac.za (F.F. Jacot Guillarmod) writes:
> I have the following parameters set in my ~.nn/init file:
>
> set default-distribution local
> set follow-distribution ask same default
>
> However, when posting a follow up to an article with 'world'
> distribution, the distribution reverts to 'local'.
>
> I am using 'cnews' as the mail transport, and suspect the problem
> is due to 'cnews' zapping the Distribution: header entirely if
> it is 'world'.

I don't think C News does that.  C News's inews will delete a
News modifies distribution headers of incoming articles.  There is some
code in C News's relaynews program that treats an article without a
Distribution as if it had 'Distribution:  world', but I think this is
used only to check which sys file lines match.

> Is there some obvious workaround to change this behaviour?  Or is
> it a case of my misunderstanding something?

nn thinks that the Distribution:  header is mandatory, while C News
knows that it is optional.  If you could tell nn to

	set follow-distribution ask same "world"

then I think you would get what you want (followups to messages that
don't have a Distribution:  header get sent to Distribution:  world) --
but I don't think you can make nn do that.  You might have to 'set
default-distribution world' to get the followups to work right, and
educate your users to use appropriate distributions on new
(non-followup) articles.

--apb
Alan Barrett, Dept. of Electronic Eng., Univ. of Natal, Durban, South Africa
RFC822: barrett@ee.und.ac.za             Bang: m2xenix!quagga!undeed!barrett