[news.software.nn] keeping old news

swc@sys.uea.ac.uk (S.W. Cox CMP Staff) (05/29/91)

I wonder if anybody can help. I'm setting up local news groups here and have
come across a problem with archiving. We want to keep archives for 6 months
at least for the local groups. Using the archive facilities of expire to
keep them would make it impossible for nn to access them, but nn's own archive
facility does not allow previously read articles to be ignored. This would
be a great pain if you had to search through half a years worth of info just
to find a couple of recent posts.

Basically, we want the system to appear as if these local groups are only
expired every six months but there is the risk that expire may be run
with no arguments which would destroy the old articles prematurely.

Any ideas how to achieve this without the threat of loosing them?

Thanks, Steve Cox.

swc@sys.uea.ac.uk

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (05/30/91)

swc@sys.uea.ac.uk (S.W. Cox CMP Staff) writes:

>Basically, we want the system to appear as if these local groups are only
>expired every six months but there is the risk that expire may be run
>with no arguments which would destroy the old articles prematurely.

Well you could "fix" expire so that running it without arguments would
use 180 days as the default.

>Any ideas how to achieve this without the threat of loosing them?

Have you ever heard of backups :-)

--
Kim F. Storm  <storm@texas.dk>		No news is good news,
Texas Instruments A/S, Denmark		  but nn is better!