[news.software.nn] nn using nntp services

cmgreen@pilot.njin.net (Clifford Green) (06/13/91)

I am running nn6.4 software on an HP9000/800 series under HPUX 7.0.
Since I am reading news off a remote system I am using nntp services.
Every time we reboot the system nnmaster aborts on bootup and returns
the message: 'Incomplete Master File'.

nnmaster is being run in daemon mode and is being invoked as follows
from /etc/rc: 'nnmaster -l -r -C'.

The only way I have been able to restart the system is to reload the
nn database from scratch.  Although I have developed an automated
system which senses that nnmaster has tanked and rebuilds the data base,
I have to believe there is a better way (or better nn code out there).

Would really appreciate any suggestions, software, or sympathy that
I can get.  Thanks.

P.S.  Last nnmaster belly up occurred, not as a result of a reboot, but
because the remote system from which we are reading news added a few
hundred newsgroups.  nnmaster was busy logging messages about these
new groups when it went bye bye.

groot@idca.tds.philips.nl (Henk de Groot) (06/18/91)

In <Jun.13.10.15.15.1991.5599@pilot.njin.net> cmgreen@pilot.njin.net (Clifford Green) writes:

>I am running nn6.4 software on an HP9000/800 series under HPUX 7.0.
>Since I am reading news off a remote system I am using nntp services.
>Every time we reboot the system nnmaster aborts on bootup and returns
>the message: 'Incomplete Master File'.

I just had this problem once. The problem was that I shut-down the machine
at the same moment as a new group was added. On shutdown I stop the
master with "nnmaster -k". On startup there was an inconsitency in the
MASTER file and none of the nnprograms whould run. I reinitialized the
data-base. I only have had this problem once, there is not much chance
of collecting a group during shutdown!

Another nasty problem occured with an impropper build system; there
were 2 cron-proccesses started. The two crons managed to get two
expires runnig at the same time. Very nasty. Gives a lot of errors and
a distroyed database.

P.S. I am a very happy user of NN, very good work indeed!

Henk.

--
  /   /            Henk de Groot      | Department: PG 9000i - System Services
 /---/ __  __  /   V2/A12-A13         | Internet : groot@idca.tds.philips.nl