[net.space] L-5 Society

JOSEPH@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (11/22/85)

Hi Folks,

I am trying to get in touch with the L-5 Society.  Does anyone
know their current address or phone number?  Are they still a going
concern?  Does anyone know of better lobbying organizations working
towards establishing civilian colonies in space?

				Thanks

				Seymour

P.S. Please reply Via Mail as I don't regularly read space
-------

space@ucbvax.UUCP (12/20/85)

I recently resigned my life membership in the L5 society.  They
are somewhat effective as lobbyists (sp?).  The publication is
boring.  But mostly I got fed up with their 'I hate the Russians'
line.  Not that the Russian leadership is a bunch of nice guys, but
they have made significant contributions to space development and
the Russian people ARE nice guys.

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (12/23/85)

> I recently resigned my life membership in the L5 society.  They
> are somewhat effective as lobbyists (sp?).  The publication is
> boring.  But mostly I got fed up with their 'I hate the Russians'
> line.  Not that the Russian leadership is a bunch of nice guys, but
> they have made significant contributions to space development and
> the Russian people ARE nice guys.

Indeed, many L-5'ers see SDI as the ticket for moving people into space, and
that blinds them to its other consequences. It almost seems that to them,
ANY space project is automatically a GOOD space project.

Seems to me that Werner von Braun once had a problem like that.

Phil Karn
(L-5 society member, but wondering)

davidson@sdcsvax.UUCP (Greg Davidson) (12/25/85)

I would like to make clear the L5 Society's position on SDI:  It has
none.  L5 was formed to support and expedite space development so that
people can live and work there.  Whether SDI may further this goal is
debatable.  Some L5 members support SDI.  Others strongly oppose it.
Thus I was surprised to just read of someone leaving the society over
this issue.

There is occasional  discussion of SDI issues in the L5 News.  I would
say the topic comes up infrequently, no more than it does in this
mailing list (newsgroup).  I think it would be an overreaction to
cancel one's membership in L5 or stop reading this mailing list for
this reason.

I am neither for nor against SDI.  What I would like to see is a strong
committment to space development.  I see this as worthwhile for its own
sake, but note that the USSR would have to reciprocate.  The more resources
that are put into space development, the harder it is to run an arms race.

If you think that people should be moving out into the Solar System,
making use of the resources there, building homes there, etc., then
join the L5 Society.  L5 News articles discuss tethers, light sails,
space colony design, lunar and asteroidal materials, closed ecosystems,
etc.  We also discuss the US, Japanese, European and Soviet space programs.
Come join us!

J. Greg Davidson                          Virtual Infinity Systems
(619) 452-8059               6231 Branting St; San Diego, CA 92122

greg@vis.uucp                           ucbvax--| telesoft--|
davidson@sdcsvax.uucp                   decvax--+--sdcsvax--+--vis
davidson@ucsd.arpa                       ihnp4--|  noscvax--|

Other people have pointed out that the L5 Society as a whole has *no*
position on SDI, although certain L5ers do, so I won't belabor that.

> ...It almost seems that to them [L5ers],
> ANY space project is automatically a GOOD space project.
>
> Seems to me that Werner von Braun once had a problem like that.

And he did us all a favor, too.  Bainbridge's "The Spaceflight Revolution"
makes a convincing case for the effort Nazi Germany spent on the V-2 being
a near-total waste.  It simply was not a cost-effective weapon, compared to
alternatives like V-1s, jet fighters, etc.  Its later contribution to space
development was far more significant than its effect on WW2.  Even the more
conventional bombing raids on London accomplished nothing militarily useful,
and they were rather more accurate than the V-2.

(There is some speculation that when Churchill ordered a raid on Berlin in
retaliation for a couple of off-course bombers dropping a few bombs on the
outskirts of London, he may have been specifically hoping that Hitler would
get angry enough to divert German bombers away from British fighter airfields
and onto city attacks.  The attacks on the fighter bases were a major threat,
while attacks on the cities would accomplish little.  It worked.)

Incidentally, von Braun was once arrested by the Gestapo on the charge that
he cared more about spaceflight than about winning the war.  Dornberger, his
boss, got him loose, basically by pulling rank -- no attempt was made to
dispute the accuracy of the charge.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

MCGRATH@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU ("Jim McGrath") (01/03/86)

I am also a life member of the L-5 Society, although I am not actively
involved in any of the chapters.  My major contact with the Society
has been through the L-5 News and periodic mailgrams concerning
specific lobbying efforts on the behalf of NASA.

From my limited exposure I feel that the L-5 Society is NOT supporting
SDI as much as it should be, given that it may be the only politically
feasible way to realize the Society's goals.  The Society is strictly
neutral, and much of the comments in the News from members is
anti-SDI.  Thus I simply cannot understand why anyone would possibly
resign from the Society for its PRO-SDI bias.

Perhaps the problem is that the American public supports SDI
(depending upon the poll and the time, anywhere from 50% to 70%
consider it an excellent of good program, as opposed to a fair or a
poor one).  Thus it is quite possible that a majority of the
membership of the Society does support it - clearly it would be
statistically odd if a substantial minority did not do so.

Moreover, I get the distinct impression that there has been
substantial polarization on this topic.  Thus, to an anti-SDI person,
the fact that the Society "tolerates" pro-SDI talk is taken as a sign
of support for SDI.  The Society is simply allowing its members to
freely express themselves on perhaps the most important program
involving space since Apollo.

Jim
-------

dls@mtgzz.UUCP (d.l.skran) (01/07/86)

=>
=> > I recently resigned my life membership in the L5 society.  They
=> > are somewhat effective as lobbyists (sp?).  The publication is
=> > boring.  But mostly I got fed up with their 'I hate the Russians'

For an all volunteer publication with NO paid articles it's pretty
damn good - and getting better under Greg Barr's leadership.

=> > line.  Not that the Russian leadership is a bunch of nice guys, but
=> > they have made significant contributions to space development and
=> > the Russian people ARE nice guys.

I am astounded and confused by this. Where did you ever get these ideas?
The L5 Society is not anti-Russian and insofar as I know(I've been
a member since 1979)I've never seen an anti-Russian(per se) article
in the L5 news. Yes, there are members(Jerry Pournelle et al) who
are strongly anti-communist, but the society has never expressed
a position or taken any anti-Russian stands. Please be specific
in making such accusations so that others can see where you
are coming from.
=>
=> Indeed, many L-5'ers see SDI as the ticket for moving people into space, and
=> that blinds them to its other consequences. It almost seems that to them,
=> ANY space project is automatically a GOOD space project.

Some L5 members may hold this position. The Society is
neutral, and the leadership is well aware of the dangers of being
pro or anti SDI.

=>
=> Seems to me that Werner von Braun once had a problem like that.
=>
I think you are selling both von Braun and those L5 members who advocate
SDI short. Supporting military efforts entails enormous risk, but
the risk of doing nothing is also enormous.
I think both groups were(and are) aware of the risks. They have just
weighed them up differently than you have.

It's easy to pick on von Braun, but I strongly suspect that without him
we would not yet have made it to the moon.

It is nothing less than a national tragedy that the only way money can
be broken loose for many projects(eg AI for many years) is by claiming
that it is in the interests of national defense.

=> Phil Karn
=> (L-5 society member, but wondering)
=>

To be perfectly clear: L5 supports peaceful civilian uses of
space as far as I know, and is neutral on SDI.

Dale Skran
(L5 member dedicated to making L5 better rather than complaining
about its admitted shortcomings)
=>

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (01/10/86)

> > ...It almost seems that to them [L5ers],
> > ANY space project is automatically a GOOD space project.
> >
> > Seems to me that Werner von Braun once had a problem like that.
>
> And he did us all a favor, too.  Bainbridge's "The Spaceflight Revolution"
> makes a convincing case for the effort Nazi Germany spent on the V-2 being
> a near-total waste.

V2's did, however, kill a lot of people.  As Tom Lehrer put it:

    Think of all the widows and cripples in old London town,
    Who owe their large pensions to Werner von Braun

> V2's did, however, kill a lot of people...

Quite true.  The point was that almost any other use for von Braun's
funding would have killed more.	 The difference between "more" and "less"
is not as sharp as that between "some" and "none", but it often reflects
the real world more accurately.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

andrew@cadomin.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (01/13/86)

In article <1326@ames.UUCP> al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) writes:

>    Think of all the widows and cripples in old London town,
>    Who owe their large pensions to Werner von Braun

Anybody out there know the rest of this Tom Lehrer song?  The only other
verse I remember is :

     I just send them up,
     Who cares where they come down?
     That's not my department
     Says Werner von Braun.

--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew

All ideas in this message are fictional.  Any resemblance, to any idea,
living or dead, is purely coincidental.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/15/86)

In article <652@cadomin.UUCP>, andrew@cadomin.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) writes:
> In article <1326@ames.UUCP> al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) writes:
> >
> >    Think of all the widows and cripples in old London town,
> >    Who owe their large pensions to Werner von Braun
>
> Anybody out there know the rest of this Tom Lehrer song?  The only other
> verse I remember is :
>
>      I just send them up,

Umm, I think this line was more like:
       Once the rockets go up,

--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (01/16/86)

> > Anybody out there know the rest of this Tom Lehrer song?

You have to get the pronunciation correct:

"'Vunce zee rrrockets are up,
Hoo cares vere zey come down?
Zats not my deparrtment!'
Says Werner Von Braun."

When it was apparent that the Peenemunde facility on the Baltic would be
overrun by the Soviets on their way to Berlin, the Germans at the site
divided into two groups.  The larger one, led by Von Braun, wanted to
surrender to the Americans; the smaller group decided to take their chances
with the Russians.  Von Braun's group was evacuated with as much paper as
they could carry to Oberammergau, the town in the Bavarian Alps famous for
the Passion Play.  There they waited for the northward-advancing Americans.
The initial contact was made by Werner's brother, who he sent out to meet a
couple of American advance scouts.  Von Braun and his men practically threw
themselves into the arms of the Americans; it was hardly a "capture".

As the war ended, the Americans held the area containing the major V2
production facilities. Since we had agreed to turn this area over to the
Soviets in exchange for part of Berlin, we conducted a full-scale raid on
the V-2 factories, smuggling out as many complete V-2's and parts as
possible before the Soviets moved into the territory (which they made part of
East Germany).  The Cold War had started.

There's a fascinating and detail history of the German V-2 project in the
book "The Rocket", by David Baker. This is the companion volume to Baker's
"The History of Manned Space Flight". Both are musts for space history
junkies.

Phil