[net.space] Storing electricity for railgun shots

FRIEDRITR%GAV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA (01/17/86)

One method (which is used in some fusion reactor experiments) is to use
a spinning rock.  A huge rock (specially shaped and balanced, of course)
is spun up to high RPM over a period of time.  Then, when you need the
shot of electricity, you throw all that angular momentum into spinning
a large generator.  I've seen this done; the rock stops RIGHT NOW, and
your pet project gets a huge jolt of electricity.

No representations as to efficiency, but it was cheaper and easier to
build than a bank of hundreds of thousands of capacitors ...

Terry

phil@isieng.UUCP (Phil Gustafson) (01/17/86)

In article <8601162257.AA16707@s1-b.arpa> FRIEDRITR%GAV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA writes:
>One method (which is used in some fusion reactor experiments) is to use
>a spinning rock.

The Bevatron at UC Berkeley does this, and has for years. A motor winds
a flywheel up to a high speed.  Then (every minute or so) a bank of thyratrons
lights up blue and  *all* the energy in the flywheel gets dumped into the
accelerator.  Great fun to watch and listen to.  Cheaper and more compact than
capacitors holding the same energy.

	phil

brent@poseidon.UUCP (Brent P. Callaghan) (01/20/86)

>>One method (which is used in some fusion reactor experiments) is to use
>>a spinning rock.
>
>The Bevatron at UC Berkeley does this, and has for years. A motor winds
>a flywheel up to a high speed.  Then (every minute or so) a bank of thyratrons
>lights up blue and  *all* the energy in the flywheel gets dumped into the
>accelerator.  Great fun to watch and listen to.  Cheaper and more compact than
>capacitors holding the same energy.

I think this is called a "homopolar" generator.

--

Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ