[net.space] Star-Wars

db@cstvax.UUCP (Dave Berry) (11/19/85)

In article <3327@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>> I suspect the Russians have made a monumental discovery
>> and are not willing to share it with us, and if I am correct as
>> to what is is, I don't blame them because in a few more years it
>> will give them a massive military edge.
>
>It is, I thought, well known that the Soviets test-fired a
>neutral particle beam "weapon" several years ago.  One assumes
>that they are farther along by now.

Yes, but do they have the computing skills/resources to control an actual
system (as opposed to a test version)?  I doubt it - people here are being
jailed for shipping PDP-11s to Warsaw Pact countries, and from what we know of
their computer science research they're far behind us.  And YOUR software
engineers don't think SDI is feasible, so I doubt that the USSR could manage it.

>If it weren't so dangerous, it would be almost amusing how
>readily a lot of Americans (apparently including the President
>himself) jump at the chance to bargain away strategic defense
>at the negotiating table.

You haven't had one for 40 years and you're still the most powerful nation
on Earth.

>If you read the memoirs
>of high-level Soviet defectors (not ballet performers, but those
>involved in the military, intelligence, or diplomatic service),
>you will find that it is quite common for the Soviets to
>encourage nuclear-freeze, unilateral disarmament, and anti-
>defense movements in the U.S.  Often this is not as overt as
>Velikov lobbying in the Senate.  But if you're the least bit
>suspicious of the Soviet government having our best interests at
>heart, you might be able to conclude what their perception of
>the real worth of America's military development is.  Of course,
>your values may not be quite the same as theirs..

I've been involved in the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament for some years,
and I've seen little of this money.  Even if it's there, it doesn't mean
that an arms freeze is to our disadvantage - I think an arms freeze would
benefit everyone in the world (*) including the USSR, who could then develop
their economy & provide a better standard of living for their people.

* - except those who make money from developing weapons, of course.

>This subject should probably move off net.physics, but I don't
>know where it belongs.  Sorry.

Try the arms-digest (now available as mod.arms-d).

--
	Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh
					...mcvax!ukc!cstvax!db

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (11/21/85)

Paul M. Koloc, pmk@prometheus writes
>>> I suspect the Russians have made a monumental discovery
>>> and are not willing to share it with us, and if I am correct as
>>> to what is is, I don't blame them because in a few more years it
>>> will give them a massive military edge.

>> In article <3327@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) adds:
>>It is, I thought, well known that the Soviets test-fired a
>>neutral particle beam "weapon" several years ago.  One assumes
>>that they are farther along by now.

> Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh.mcvax!ukc!cstvax!db says"
> Yes, but do they have the computing skills/resources to control an actual
> system (as opposed to a test version)?  I doubt it

16k of 68020 should be enough, plus a 64 manned space platforms
should be effective.

Consider that the chemical potential energy of the launchers
sitting in silos in the Soviet Union, are a few minutes from
being converted to the gravitation potential energy and kinetic
energy of space based nuclear terror.  Weapons are as much in
space as if they were waiting to drop on us from an artificial
moon.   So the argument of keeping space free of weapons is
bogus.  Orbital Space will look like the Tokyo subway system
during rush hour, if some jerk pulls the trigger.

The "monumental discovery" is a compact pulsed high power density
fusion device based on work by Kurtmulleav at K. P.  The power
source in addition as direct MHD drive for beam weapons, may be
for both a boost phase rocket engine and an electric mode drive
for pulsed "super high specific thrust" orbital engines.  This
would reduce the cost of the "SDI" program by at least 10, and
the difficulty with the Russian idea of the strategic concept is
that it includes having racks of nuclear fission or fission-
fusion devices for a space initiated total attack on the selected
surface geopolitical targets. I don't think they can pulse the
device fast enough, yet, for most of these applications.

THIS concept of SDI actually increases the spread of potential
nuclear death, and is not part of the the Presidents program.
However, there are those (father of the beast) who would use
these devices as drivers of space based excimer lasers. (Which
work with a vengeance but still the laser effects are micro-
scopic compared with the nuclear explosive driver).

This doesn't make for a neat and tidy system, and from an
engineering point of view the use of these devices would be too
disruptive to be highly effective.

What must be done is to rid the solar system of fission devices;
even a commercial reactor could conceivably wipe out the concept
of humanity as we know it in a few short centuries.  But like a
one year old 500 kg child playing with your shot gun, please
won't work.  Try to give him something else, less deadly, that he
perceives as more fun.  One basically has to "update" the defensive
power of the masses with something they would take pride and feel
psychologically secure.  That means "put a substitute" defense
in place and then "scrap" the nuclear based one.  One whose drivers
are based on controlled fusion would not be lethal to mankind.

> You haven't had one for 40 years and you're still the most powerful
> nation on Earth.

We have been tested & seriously bloodied a couple of times, during
that time.  But there is no substitute for a strong defense to
reduce the loss of life.   Even disarming the citizens of large
technologically advanced nations, on the average results in about
two or three orders of magnitude increase in the loss of life,
since a totalitarian regime can assume power without great
difficulty and they can exterminate tens of millions ie.
Hitler of Germany, and Stalin of Russia.

> >If you read the memoirs
> >of high-level Soviet defectors (not ballet performers, but those
> >involved in the military, intelligence, or diplomatic service),
> >you will find that it is quite common for the Soviets to
> >encourage nuclear-freeze, unilateral disarmament, and anti-
> >defense movements in the U.S.
>
> I've been involved in the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament for some years,
> and I've seen little of this money.

It doesn't take much money to encourage "apple pie" liberal
causes.  Everybody wants peace, unfortunately it's a tough cookie
to hold on to, and like turning a spinning bicycle wheel it
sometimes takes force in a orthogonal direction to get it where
you want it.

> * - except those who make money from developing weapons, of course.

Well not just weapons, it turns out that Velikov and (Furth of
PPPL) have been scheming ways to boost government funding of "big
physics" such as fusion, including joint projects that wouldn't
otherwise be supported by each government alone.  It's a good
cover for Velikov.  Furth was turned down last year from
going ahead with a so called "hot core" tokamak (20 year old
Russian invention) which would cost $2.6 billion & wouldn't "burn".
Pure government boondoggle "science".  Tokamaks are great plasma
physics test chambers (when they are carefully engineered like
the German ASDEX).  As of a few years ago it has been generally
accepted by the few in the know that they can't be ever made to
work commercially.

So why propose a costly project whose engineering is not feasible?
The answer seems to be that if it's not BIG, it's not noticed by
the government and the research base isn't large enough to bring
in enough of a lobby effort to keep it going.   That works for
the Soviets as well.

So let's be fair and include big physics as a culprit.  Fusion
could have been commercialized by now if "big" could have been
forced out of the the equation.   With fusion in hand the
frontier of space would be a piece of cake and we wouldn't have
time to play "my fist is bigger".

+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {umcp-cs | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP  | decade |
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+

rivero@kovacs.UUCP (Michael Foster Rivero) (11/25/85)

	  Regarding the Soviets potential SDI capability.

	  Yes, the USSR  has  test  fired  an  anti-satallite  weapon.
	There is still some speculation that Seasat 1 was knocked  out
	by  such a weapon.  In any case, all of these rumors and tests
	can be grouped under the heading "rattling the spears", i.e. a
	show  of  potential  force.  They rattle, then we rattle, then
	they rattle, then we rattle.  This is  called,  "Strengthening
	our bargaining position".

	  The main reason certain strategic weapons are bargained away
	at the conferance table is that neither side wants the weapons
	to be developed, usually for ecenomic reasons.  The idea  is,"
	If  you  do not deploy weapon X, and I do not deploy weapon Y,
	then both sides can build hydroelectric dams instead."

	  With the exception of the actual contractors involved,  most
	people,in  both  governments would rather spend their military
	budgets on civilian programs  instead;  Hospitals,  Utilities,
	Colleges, Better health services, and the Space Programs, etc.

	  Ultimatly, at some point, the U.S.  and  the  U.S.S.R.  will
	probably  ally with each other, if for no other reason than to
	jointly police  the  third  worlds  use  of  nuclear  weapons.
	Unfortunatly.  it  will probably take a limited nuclear war to
	make both countries see the light.

	  But, like the Krupps and the  Colts  discovered  during  the
	last two World Wars, there is a lot more money to be made from
	war than from peace!  Hence, SDI.

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (12/31/85)

> 	  Regarding the Soviets potential SDI capability.
>
> 	  Yes, the USSR  has  test  fired  an  anti-satallite  weapon.
> 	There is still some speculation that Seasat 1 was knocked  out
> 	by  such a weapon.  In any case, all of these rumors and tests
> 	can be grouped under the heading "rattling the spears", i.e. a
> 	show  of  potential  force.  They rattle, then we rattle, then
> 	they rattle, then we rattle.  This is  called,  "Strengthening
> 	our bargaining position".

A similar contest in the early part of this century resulted in
world war 1.

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (01/01/86)

> > 	  Yes, the USSR  has  test  fired  an  anti-satallite  weapon.
> > 	There is still some speculation that Seasat 1 was knocked  out
> > 	by  such a weapon....
>
> A similar contest in the early part of this century resulted in
> world war 1.

Very true. Depending on which rumor mill you listen to, an alternative
explanation for the failure of Seasat 1 is that somebody discovered it was
able to detect the slight disturbances of the ocean surface caused by
missile-carrying submarines underneath.

Has anyone set up a Star Wars (aka SDI) newsgroup yet?

Phil

rimey@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Ken &) (01/08/86)

> Has anyone set up a Star Wars (aka SDI) newsgroup yet?

Try mod.politics.arms-d

					Ken Rimey

crs@lanl.ARPA (01/08/86)

> > Has anyone set up a Star Wars (aka SDI) newsgroup yet?
>
> Try mod.politics.arms-d

See also current discussions in mod.risks.
--
The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer,
the government or your favorite deity.

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (01/13/86)

In article <787@petrus.UUCP> karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) writes:
> . . .
> Has anyone set up a Star Wars (aka SDI) newsgroup yet?
>
> Phil

Try mod.politics.arms-d, which is gatewayed from the ARPANET ARMS-D
(Arms Discussion Digest) mailing list.  About every angle about SDI
has been discussed, and probably will continue to be discussed.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (01/23/86)

In article <18493@styx.UUCP>, mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) writes:
> In article <787@petrus.UUCP> karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) writes:
> > . . .
> > Has anyone set up a Star Wars (aka SDI) newsgroup yet?
> >
> > Phil
>
> Try mod.politics.arms-d, which is gatewayed from the ARPANET ARMS-D
> (Arms Discussion Digest) mailing list.  About every angle about SDI
> has been discussed, and probably will continue to be discussed.

the risks digest, moderated by Peter Neumann (Neumann@sri-csl.arpa)
contains extensive discussion of the SDI software problem, by
major participants in the debate. I'm not sure how you may get it,
except by ftp over the arpanet. Sending a note to
risks-request@sri-csl.arpa can result in adding your machine
to the distribution list, I believe.

Peter Ladkin