[net.space] Altitude of "space"

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (01/16/86)

> So just how far does one have to go to reach 'space'?
> --
> E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

Many pilots unofficially recognized 50 (statute) miles as the beginning of
space, i.e. beyond the atmosphere.  This would make a number of X-15 missions
space flights.  A more common recognition today is an altitude of 100 km
(about 62 statute miles).  Still some of the X-15 flights were above this
mark.  There is no universally accepted definition since there is no real
boundary to cross to get to space.
--
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

mink@cfa.UUCP (Doug Mink) (01/17/86)

> Many pilots unofficially recognized 50 (statute) miles as the beginning of
> space, i.e. beyond the atmosphere.  This would make a number of X-15 missions
> space flights.  A more common recognition today is an altitude of 100 km
> (about 62 statute miles).  Still some of the X-15 flights were above this
> mark.  There is no universally accepted definition since there is no real
> boundary to cross to get to space.
>                                               Roger Noe

In the early 60's, an altitude of 50 miles was recognized as the
beginning of space for the purpose of earning Astronaut wings, which I
believe were awarded to several X-15 pilots as well as to Mercury,
Gemini, and Apollo astronauts.
--
                                        Doug Mink

kwan@smeagol.UUCP (Richard Kwan) (01/18/86)

> > So just how far does one have to go to reach 'space'?
> > --
> > E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems
>
> Many pilots unofficially recognized 50 (statute) miles as the beginning of
> space, i.e. beyond the atmosphere.  This would make a number of X-15 missions
> space flights.  A more common recognition today is an altitude of 100 km
> (about 62 statute miles).  Still some of the X-15 flights were above this
> mark...
> --
> 	Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

Like various manned spacecraft, the X-15 required attitude control jets
to maneuver in a rarified atmosphere (or is it space?).  It also had to
tolerate a hot re-entry.  This much it has in common with Mercury,
Gemini, Apollo, and the shuttle orbiter.

	Rick Kwan
	JPL Spacecraft Data Systems group

patc@tekcrl.UUCP (Pat Caudill) (01/20/86)

In article <173@cfa.UUCP> mink@cfa.UUCP (Doug Mink) writes:

>In the early 60's, an altitude of 50 miles was recognized as the
>beginning of space for the purpose of earning Astronaut wings, which I
>believe were awarded to several X-15 pilots as well as to Mercury,

	Tom Wolf tells a funny story about this in "The Right Stuff".
Apparently only military pilots (of the X-15) could get astronaut
wings for going over 50miles. The civilian test pilot who first
acheived this distinction was turned down, but the other test pilots
took him down to Pancho's bar and after due ceremony awarded him a
large pair of gold paper wings with "ASSTRONAUT" written on them.

			tektronix!tekcrl!patc

doug@escher.UUCP (Douglas J Freyburger) (01/26/86)

> > Many pilots unofficially recognized 50 (statute) miles as the beginning of
> > space, i.e. beyond the atmosphere.  This would make a number of X-15
> > missions space flights...
> In the early 60's, an altitude of 50 miles was recognized as the
> beginning of space for the purpose of earning Astronaut wings, which I
> believe were awarded to several X-15 pilots as well as to Mercury,
> Gemini, and Apollo astronauts.

Not only were some of the .X-15 pilots awarded Astronaut
wings, but the SR-71 pilots wear Air Force Astronaut wings.
The service ceiling of the SR-71 is classified, so this
might only answer how high the Air Force considers space to
be to the few cleared to know about the Blackbird in
detail.

Neil Armstrong got his astronaut wings in the X-15 before
he transfered to the candlestick rockets.
--

Doug Freyburger		DOUG@JPL-ROBOTICS, DOUG@JPL-VLSI,
JPL Mail Stop 23	escher!doug, escher!teleop!doug

Disclaimers: My opinions are not those of JPL, Caltech,
NASA, etc.  Apologies to companies I'm forgetting to quote
as trademark holders.  Net site JPL-ROBOTICS has its net
link down lately, so no mail gets though.