From:   IN%"SMTP@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU"  1-FEB-1990 14:58:51.52
To:     DMPM@DUKEMC
CC:
Subj:   Undeliverable Mail

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 90 14:57:55 EST
From: SMTP@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Subject: Undeliverable Mail
To: DMPM@DUKEMC

VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU unable to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
    <72105.1105@compuserve.com>
VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU received negative reply:
550 DMPM@DUKEMC... User unknown

           ** Text of Mail follows **
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 14:49 EDT
From: James Dryfoos- PostMaster <DMPM%DUKEMC.BITNET@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: test
To: 72105.1105@compuserve.com

This is a test.
Please respond by sendiong a reply.

_jim Dryfoos

TERRY@SPCVXA (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (02/03/90)

> What exactly is the errors-to field supposed to be for?

  It is used to indicate that errors in delivering your message should be
reported to a different address than the message originated from. It isn't
necessary when the sender is a user, since s/he can process the error no-
tice without difficulty. It is primarily used by server accounts to in-
dicate that errors should be sent to a real person, rather than back to the
server (which might either discard it, or, if the server was for a mailing
list, might forward a copy of the error message to _everybody_ on the list).

> This works fine, but does cause trouble now and then.  I now have disabled
> this due to the problems.  Below is a example of mail sent out and
> returned due to this problem.  Soon as I deassigned the logical
> pmdf_errors_to this problem went away.

  The problem is that your value for this field is not "fully qualified". In
netspeak, this means that it needs a trailing domain (or pseudo-domain) spec-
ification. Compare the IPMDF errors-to with yours:

  I don't know why you aren't getting a fully qualified name out, although I
suspect that the "official host name", either global or channel-specific, is
DUKEMC rather than DUKEMC.BITNET. The relevant portions of my PMDF.CNF are
shown below as an example:

! PMDF.CNF - A configuration file for PMDF.
SPCVXA          $U@SPCVXA.BITNET
SPCVXA.BITNET   $U@SPCVXA.BITNET

SPCVXA.BITNET

        Terry Kennedy
        St. Peter's College

NED@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU (Ned Freed, Postmaster) (02/04/90)

I have little to add to Terry's analysis of Errors-to: fields; he covered
it very well.

PMDF is capable of generating Errors-to: lines. Some mailers do respect them,
so it is a good idea to make them available. PMDF does not respect Errors-to:
lines. It uses envelope-from addresses instead. I've thought of changing
PMDF to use Errors-to: (at least in the message bouncer) but I've never
gotten around to it. It is actually sort of tricky to do, and would require
an additional entry point in mm_ that accepts preparsed headers for
inclusion in messages (this would be a good idea in any case, so I'll
probably implement it sometime).

If anyone thinks Errors-to: support in PMDF is a pressing concern, please
let me know.

                                Ned