[bit.listserv.pmdf-l] errors in post.log

LJP@NBSENH (Linda Pelleu) (02/06/90)

I am new at working with PMDF (I've taken over for someone who left),
so please forgive me if my questions seem silly.  I was wondering if there
is someplace where PMDF error messages are explained in some detail?  I don't
see what I need in the System Managers Guide, but may have overlooked it.

In particular, I received the following error message in POST.LOG:

    $ run pmdf_root:[exe]bn_master

    31-JAN-90 14:15:58: SMTP  routine failure
    %PAS-F-HALT, HALT procedure called
    %TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
    module name     routine name                   line    rel PC      abs PC

                                                          00447A2F   0047A2F
    BN_MASTER       BN_MASTER                      1366   000000B8   00004B48

I have also received the error message "SMTP routine failure on file:"
a number of times in subsequent POST.LOG files, in the format:

    Starting delivery of
    PMDF_ROOT:[QUEUE]WTCP_LOCAL_0092E878E197D76000004B70.00;1
    os_smtp_open: Looking up MX records for brl.mil
    os_smtp_open: Connecting to brl.mil

     5-FEB-90  06:07:36:  SMTP routine failure on file:
    PMDF_ROOT:[QUEUE]WTCP_LOCAL_0092E878E197D76000004B70.00;1

We are running PMDF 3.0, JNET 3.3, and VMS 4.7.

Thank you for any help you can give me, and again I apologize if I've
overlooked the obvious.  If any more info is needed, please let me
know.

Linda Pelleu
ljp@enh.nist.gov

NED@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU (Ned Freed, Postmaster) (02/06/90)

Linda Pelleu writes:

> I am new at working with PMDF (I've taken over for someone who left),
> so please forgive me if my questions seem silly.  I was wondering if there
> is someplace where PMDF error messages are explained in some detail?  I don't
> see what I need in the System Managers Guide, but may have overlooked it.

> In particular, I received the following error message in POST.LOG:

>      $ run pmdf_root:[exe]bn_master

>     31-JAN-90 14:15:58: SMTP  routine failure
>     %PAS-F-HALT, HALT procedure called
>     %TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
>     module name     routine name                   line    rel PC      abs PC

>                                                           00447A2F   0047A2F
>     BN_MASTER       BN_MASTER                      1366   000000B8   00004B48

This may or may not mean anything. You should put a master_debug keyword on the
channel that is reporting this error (you'll have to trace back in  POST.LOG to
find the channel name). Enabling master_debug will tell you exactly what is
dying where.

 > I have also received the error message "SMTP routine failure on file:"
> a number of times in subsequent POST.LOG files, in the format:

>     Starting delivery of
>     PMDF_ROOT:[QUEUE]WTCP_LOCAL_0092E878E197D76000004B70.00;1
>     os_smtp_open: Looking up MX records for brl.mil
>     os_smtp_open: Connecting to brl.mil

>      5-FEB-90  06:07:36:  SMTP routine failure on file:
>     PMDF_ROOT:[QUEUE]WTCP_LOCAL_0092E878E197D76000004B70.00;1

Once again, to be really sure you can put master_debug on the wtcp_local
channel. I suspect this is a failure to connect to brl.mil though, and nothing
to worry about.

The real thing to monitor with PMDF is the channel queues. Are files stuck in
the queues? If so, there may be something that needs to be looked at.

I don't generally scan the log files PMDF produces. I look at the channel
queues instead, and if there's a problem, then I go to the log files to see
why.

Note that having some messages stuck in the wtcp_local queue is probably
normal. In fact, not having any out there would be very suspicious (on my
system at least!). I sometimes run the delivery process manually to see
why each message that's out there is stuck. This has never found anything
useful for me, but I do keep trying.

                                Ned