[bit.listserv.pmdf-l] Hiding an address in an address list

GHC@NIHKLMB (Gerson H Cohen) (02/09/90)

I have the need to include an address which is not to be made public in a
mailing list.  The list itself, however, is to remain public.  If the name
is simply added to the file referenced by the alias, all list users can be
aware of the address (the list is being maintained by MAILSERV).  The form:

alias: <filename,error-return-address,reply-to-address

does not permit other entries.  I am using Ned's procedure of feeding
the incomming mail directly through VMSMail before expansion:

list_name: list_name-forward
list_name2: <file

in which the list_name-forward is forwarded by VMS.  I have experimented
putting the hidden name in the expansion of list_name, and I think it works,
but Ned has been burned by people submitting to the list_name2 and that
would defeat my purpose (the address would remain hidden but receive no
mail).  Does anyone have a suggestion of some mechanism that I may have
overlooked?

Gerson Cohen
NIH, 2/312, Bethesda, MD  20892
301-496-4295
GHC@NIHKLMB

GOMIDE@BRFAPESP (02/09/90)

> I have the need to include an address which is not to be made public in a
> mailing list.  The list itself, however, is to remain public.  If the name
> is simply added to the file referenced by the alias, all list users can be
> aware of the address (the list is being maintained by MAILSERV).  The form:

I use pmdf_root:[mailserv]listname.dis for public lists maintained by MAILSERV.
In each list you can subscribe in%"listname_hidden" then include in ALIASES.
listname_hidden: <disk:[pmdf.mailserv.private]listname.dis
and maintain there your "concealed" addresses. You can't maintain them via
MAILSERV, but this does the job.

NED@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU (Ned Freed, Postmaster) (02/09/90)

Gomide has already offered a solution to this problem that looks to me like
it will work, but I thought I'd add a small point...

The problem of the intermediate expansion address appearing in messages
will be fixed in the next release. Unfortunately, the changes needed to
implement this are pretty nasty and have gotten mixed in with a lot of
other work in the general area of header line control, so I'm not going to
post them. You can tell, however, that I've fixed it on the info-pmdf list,
since you should no longer see the (secret) expansion address I'm using.

Of course, this is security through obscurity, but that's about all that's
possible in the present e-mail world.

                                Ned