[bit.listserv.pmdf-l] Pmdf_relaying and vms logicals and master_debug

DMPM@DUKEMC (James Dryfoos- PostMaster) (02/07/90)

I have made Ned's changes to pmdf_mail.pas and now can use the
pmdf_relaying feature.  However there are a few things you should
know.  First, if you turn mater_debug on for the local channel
I am told it is supposed to say pmdf_relaying flag is set.  It does
not do this.  The output from master_debug is below.  Also,
when you define the logical pmdf_relaying you must define
it in executive mode (def/exec) and have sysnam priv to do this.
If you do not have sysnam it automatically (w/o warning) creates
the logical under supervisor mode (do a show log/fu pmdf_relaying).
Here is the catch.  If you notice this and then give yourself
sysnam priv you can do the def/exec again and it will say
that the previous value has been superseded.  However, it was superseded
in supervisor mode and not exec.  You must first deass the logical
and then do the def/exec.

-Jim Dryfoos

MAIL_OUT_LINE called with:         1
OUT_SENDER option used.
copy_descr_to_vstring called.
String copied: "DMPM         "James Dryfoos- PostMaster""
MAIL_OUT_CHECK called with:         2
CKUSER option used.
copy_descr_to_vstring called.
String copied: "dmpm@dukemc"
copy_descr_to_vstring called.
String copied: ""
PMDF address: "dmpm@dukemc"
MAIL_OUT_CHECK called with:         2
Terminate user list.
MAIL_OUT_LINE called with:         3
OUT_TO option used.
copy_descr_to_bigvstring called.
String copied: "IN%"dmpm@dukemc""
MAIL_OUT_LINE called with:        17
OUT_CC option used.
copy_descr_to_bigvstring called.
String copied: ""
MAIL_OUT_LINE called with:         4
OUT_SUBJ option used.
copy_descr_to_bigvstring called.
String copied: ""
MAIL_OUT_ATTRIBS called.
MAIL_OUT_FILE called.
Initializing header storage.
Fixing RAB for proper read mode.
The BIO field of the RAB is set  FALSE
Reading headers from forwarded message.
Line: "Resent-date: Sun, 4 Feb 90 23:37 PST"
Line: "Date: Sun, 4 Feb 90 23:35 PST"
Line: "From: "Jim Dryfoos, Postmaster" <DMPM@DUKEMC>"
Line: "Subject: Test PMDF_RELAYING"
Line: "To: DMPM@DUKEMC"
Line: ""
Supplying missing message headers.
Copying the body of the message:
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
Line: "This is a test message.  Please ignore."
MAIL_OUT_CHECK called with:         6
CKSEND option used.
MAIL_OUT_DEACCESS called.

NED@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU (Ned Freed, Postmaster) (02/09/90)

James Dryfoos writes:

> I have made Ned's changes to pmdf_mail.pas and now can use the
> pmdf_relaying feature.  However there are a few things you should
> know.  First, if you turn mater_debug on for the local channel
> I am told it is supposed to say pmdf_relaying flag is set.  It does
> not do this.  The output from master_debug is below.

I added the code to output this information after I posted the change to
info-pmdf. Sorry about that. I do tend to change these discretionary patches
around as I fold them into my development copy of PMDF.

> Also, when you define the logical pmdf_relaying you must define
> it in executive mode (def/exec) and have sysnam priv to do this.
> If you do not have sysnam it automatically (w/o warning) creates
> the logical under supervisor mode (do a show log/fu pmdf_relaying).
> Here is the catch.  If you notice this and then give yourself
> sysnam priv you can do the def/exec again and it will say
> that the previous value has been superseded.  However, it was superseded
> in supervisor mode and not exec.  You must first deass the logical
> and then do the def/exec.

Isn't this a lovely "feature" of DEFINE? I wish it did what you told it to,
and complained if it cannot! However, it is probably way too late to change...
I ran into this (as well as some other idiosyncratic behavior) recently while
writing a little logical name editor.

SHOW LOGICAL/FULL can be your friend. I know it is mine.

                                Ned