[bit.listserv.pmdf-l] usernames don't match - gateways spitting up

DAN@TOWSONVX (02/09/90)

Dear PMDFers,

I am having the following problem with gateways at Cornell and Kentucky.
My channel defs are:

bit_cornellc smtp daemon mal user mailer nolocaluser
CORNELLC.BITNET    TOE.TOWSON.EDU

bit_ukcc smtp daemon mailer user mailer nolocaluser
UKCC.BITNET       TOE.TOWSON.EDU

However, when mail is sent to these gateways, the following gets bounced
back to mailer@towsonvx (which in turn goes to postmaster):

220 CORNELLC Columbia MAILER R2.05X BSMTP service ready.
050 HELO TOE.TOWSON.EDU
250 CORNELLC Hello TOE.TOWSON.EDU
050 TICK 0001
250 0001 ... that's the ticket.
050 MAIL FROM:<name@SAE.TOWSON.EDU>
501-<name@SAE.TOWSON.EDU> does not correspond to RSCS origin of TOWSONVX MAIL
501 ER

(rest deleted)

220 ukcc.uky.edu Columbia MAILER R2.03 BSMTP service ready.
050 HELO TOE.TOWSON.EDU
250 ukcc.uky.edu Hello TOE.TOWSON.EDU
050 TICK 0001
250 0001 ... that's the ticket.
050 MAIL FROM:<name@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
501-<name@TOE.TOWSON.EDU> does not correspond to RSCS origin of TOWSONVX MAIL
501 ER

(rest deleted) - note: toe.towson.edu and towsonvx.bitnet are the same system

The Kentucky gateway I have had defined like this for quite some time and it
has been working fine.  The Cornell gateway has been acting up only recently
(since I upgraded to PMDF V3.1-10).  I then added the "nolocaluser" keyword
but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I have one other channel with the "nolocaluser" keryword (bit_rice) but I
haven't heard of any problems with that one.  But then again, no one has
used it since the upgrade.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong?  System info: VMS V5.2, PMDF V3.1-10,
and Jnet NJE V3.4.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

   Daniel A. Dinkin
   Network Services Manager                   BITNET: dan@towsonvx.bitnet
   Academic Computing Service               Internet: dan@toe.towson.edu
   Towson State University                            dan@midget.towson.edu
   Towson, Maryland 21204                    MINCnet: toe::e7opdan
   (301)830-3320

     Any thoughts in this message are purely random and my employer had
           nothing to do with them... especially if I was right.

NED@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU (Ned Freed, Postmaster) (02/09/90)

Dan Dinkin writes:

> I am having the following problem with gateways at Cornell and Kentucky.
> My channel defs are:

> bit_cornellc smtp daemon mal user mailer nolocaluser
> CORNELLC.BITNET    TOE.TOWSON.EDU

> bit_ukcc smtp daemon mailer user mailer nolocaluser
> UKCC.BITNET       TOE.TOWSON.EDU

> However, when mail is sent to these gateways, the following gets bounced
> back to mailer@towsonvx (which in turn goes to postmaster):

> 220 CORNELLC Columbia MAILER R2.05X BSMTP service ready.
> 050 HELO TOE.TOWSON.EDU
> 250 CORNELLC Hello TOE.TOWSON.EDU
> 050 TICK 0001
> 250 0001 ... that's the ticket.
> 050 MAIL FROM:<name@SAE.TOWSON.EDU>
> 501-<name@SAE.TOWSON.EDU> does not correspond to RSCS origin of TOWSONVX MAIL
> 501 ER

> (rest deleted)

> 220 ukcc.uky.edu Columbia MAILER R2.03 BSMTP service ready.
> 050 HELO TOE.TOWSON.EDU
> 250 ukcc.uky.edu Hello TOE.TOWSON.EDU
> 050 TICK 0001
> 250 0001 ... that's the ticket.
> 050 MAIL FROM:<name@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
> 501-<name@TOE.TOWSON.EDU> does not correspond to RSCS origin of TOWSONVX MAIL
> 501 ER

> (rest deleted) - note: toe.towson.edu and towsonvx.bitnet are the same system

> The Kentucky gateway I have had defined like this for quite some time and it
> has been working fine.  The Cornell gateway has been acting up only recently
> (since I upgraded to PMDF V3.1-10).  I then added the "nolocaluser" keyword
> but that didn't seem to make any difference.

> I have one other channel with the "nolocaluser" keryword (bit_rice) but I
> haven't heard of any problems with that one.  But then again, no one has
> used it since the upgrade.

> Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong?  System info: VMS V5.2, PMDF V3.1-10
   ,
> and Jnet NJE V3.4.

I'm pretty sure  the problem is that the RSCS origin of the file is TOWSONVX,
but your official host name on these channels is TOE.TOWSON.EDU. Furthermore,
even if you fix this, they will probably start complaining that the mailbox in
the From: address does not match the RSCS origin. You'll need to get rid of the
nolocaluser keyword to fix this.

If you change the channel definitions to read:

bit_cornellc smtp daemon mal user mailer
CORNELLC.BITNET   TOWSONVX.BITNET

bit_ukcc smtp daemon mailer user mailer
UKCC.BITNET       TOWSONVX.BITNET

I suspect things will start working.

Why are these mailers being so picky? Because they don't recognize your right
to have a domain-style origin. In other words, they have out-of-date BITNET
gateway lists. Even if you make the changes shown, that will only fix mail
coming from your main node. Mail from remote DECnet nodes and suchlike will
still bounce.

This is THEIR problem, not yours. They should update their tables. You're in my
tables, so I'm pretty sure you are registered properly. There may be some
gremlin lurking in another piece of registry information that you need to
change, but I cannot tell about that.

I would recommend complaining directly to the postmaster on the gateway system
(e.g. postmast@cornellc.bitnet) and see where that gets you. Warning -- my
experience with such complaints ever being answered is running at about 25%.

                                Ned