[bit.listserv.pmdf-l] More re: Hidding addresses in distribution lists

GHC@NIHKLMB (Gerson H Cohen) (02/09/90)

GOMIDE@BRFAPESP.BITNET wrote:

>I use pmdf_root:[mailserv]listname.dis for public lists maintained by MAILSERV.
>In each list you can subscribe in%"listname_hidden" then include in ALIASES.
>listname_hidden: <disk:[pmdf.mailserv.private]listname.dis
>and maintain there your "concealed" addresses. You can't maintain them via
>MAILSERV, but this does the job.

I tried to do this but found that the addresses in the second distribution
file never received the mail messages.  I also couldn't find a trail of
failure in any of the logs.  Ned implied in his response that he thinks that
this should work, but it doesn't seem to.  I tried both a name like
in%new-name with a definition for new-name in the aliases file as well as a
name like new-name with a VMS mail forwarding for new-name to in%new-name.
Any other ideas?

In a related problem (I did it at the same time!) I noted that using a "error
return" entry in the alias definition pointing to a distribution list caused
the apparent sender to be the address of the error return rather than the
actual sender.  I suppose that there's some logic there; however, it obscures
the test for a remote user on a mailing list.  I guess this is really just an
observation, not a complaint!

Gerson Cohen