[bit.listserv.pmdf-l] Help with bounced messages

DOMILLER@UALR (Dale Miller) (02/28/90)

We seem to have some type of problem between the listserver at UTCVM and the
BSMTP gateway at UALR.  Whether it is PMFD at fault is questionable, but is a
good place to start.  The postmaster at UTCVM says that UALR is the only site
having these problems.  On the other hand, UTCVM is the only LISTSERV we see
problems from.  A typical mail message (to our postmaster) follows.  Any
insight into what is occurring/how to stop it would be greatly appreciated.
        Dale

| Dale O. Miller                        | #   #  ###  #     ####         |
| University of Arkansas at Little Rock | #   # #   # #     #   #        |
| 2801 S. University                    | #   # ##### #     ####         |
| Little Rock, AR  72204-1099  USA      | #   # #   # #     #  #         |
| (501)569-8714                         |  ###  #   # ##### #   #        |
| DOMILLER@UALR.BITNET                  | Disclaimer: This does not      |
| 92-20-28 W,34-43-30 N.ICBMNET         | say what I say it doesn't say. |
Questionable message follows:

From:   IN%"Postmaster@UALR.BITNET"  "PMDF Mail Server"  2-FEB-1990 10:40:28.82
To:     postmaster@UALR.BITNET, MAILER@UTCVM.BITNET
CC:
Subj:   Undeliverable gateway mail

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 90 10:39 CST
From: PMDF Mail Server <Postmaster@UALR.BITNET>
Subject: Undeliverable gateway mail
To: postmaster@UALR.BITNET, MAILER@UTCVM.BITNET

The following message could not be processed by the BSMTP gateway.

NED@HMCVAX.CLAREMONT.EDU (Ned Freed, Postmaster) (02/28/90)

Dale Miller writes:

> We seem to have some type of problem between the listserver at UTCVM and the
> BSMTP gateway at UALR.  Whether it is PMFD at fault is questionable, but is a
> good place to start.  The postmaster at UTCVM says that UALR is the only site
> having these problems.  On the other hand, UTCVM is the only LISTSERV we see
> problems from.  A typical mail message (to our postmaster) follows.  Any
> insight into what is occurring/how to stop it would be greatly appreciated.

> The following message could not be processed by the BSMTP gateway.

This message is obviously not in BSMTP format, so the gateway naturally
rejects it. It is also not entirely in plain RFC822 either -- the . and the
QUIT are BSMTP stuff. But where's the HELO, the MAIL FROM, the RCPT TO?

There may be a problem with how your node is registered (see previous info-pmdf
discussion on this subject), but no matter how it is registered, the stuff
you're getting is busted.

                                Ned