[alt.cult-movies] What *is* a cult film?

larryg@teda.UUCP (Larry Gillespie) (01/17/90)

In article <6807@sun.acs.udel.edu> conrad@sun.acs.udel.edu (Jon Conrad) writes:
>I thought "cult film" had long since been defined, and didn't
>need to be debated all over again.
>
>A Cult Film is a film with a small but EXTREMELY loyal and
>enthusiastic audience.
>
>Isn't it?

Au contraire!  This may or may not have been debated to death, but as far as
I know, no 'n' people are going to agree on what a 'cult' is.  I don't see
anything about the size that matters.  All that matters, from my point of
view, is the fervence of loyalty.  Well, it might also involve something
that is unusual about the film, like a 'sick' twist, or something.

>By this definition, It's a Wonderful Life may once have qualified,
>but it is now pretty universally known and (usually) liked.  No
>cult there.                      Jon

You see, I think that It's A Wonderful Life *is* and always will remain a
cult film, regardless of the size of the cult.  It's the type of film
that is set apart from others by its characteristics, and by the fact that
for so many years it went *unknown*.

So, you have your definition of a cult film, and I have mine.
I don't want a debate over any ultimate definition of "cult film" either.
It would be fruitless anyway.

-Larry Gillespie
Teradyne, Inc.
{sun,varian,ucbvax,teraida}!zehntel!larryg

lak8141@oak.circa.ufl.edu (01/18/90)

In article <52@teda.UUCP>, larryg@teda.UUCP (Larry Gillespie) writes...
}
}Au contraire!  This may or may not have been debated to death, but as far as
}I know, no 'n' people are going to agree on what a 'cult' is.  I don't see
}anything about the size that matters.  All that matters, from my point of
}view, is the fervence of loyalty.  Well, it might also involve something
}that is unusual about the film, like a 'sick' twist, or something.
}>
}>By this definition, It's a Wonderful Life may once have qualified,
}>but it is now pretty universally known and (usually) liked.  No
}>cult there.                      Jon
}
}You see, I think that It's A Wonderful Life *is* and always will remain a
}cult film, regardless of the size of the cult.  It's the type of film
}that is set apart from others by its characteristics, and by the fact that
}for so many years it went *unknown*.
}
}So, you have your definition of a cult film, and I have mine.
}I don't want a debate over any ultimate definition of "cult film" either.
}It would be fruitless anyway.

I always thought of it simply as this:
  A cult film is a movie that isn't mainstream.

Jeff "The Riffer" Mercer  (lak8141%oak.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu)
|Another day, another death. Another sorrow, another breath.                  |
|                               --From "No Remorse" by Metallica              |
|"Wolfjaw, Montana. That's indian territory." "Looks like we got aliens moving|
| into the neighborhood. Let's go." "Great. First the white man, now aliens." |
|                               --War Of The Worlds (the series)              |

nsj@Apple.COM (Neal Johnson) (01/19/90)

Check out the book TRAVELS IN HYPERREALITY by Umberto Eco. He has an
analysis of Casablanca in order to come up with a definition of a
"cult" film.

name: Neal Johnson         "Do What You Will Shall Be the Whole of the Law"
mail: nsj@apple.COM        "Love is the Law, Love Under Will"
phone: (408) 974-6246
disclaimer: Everything stated here is disclaimed by all.