[alt.cult-movies] Ladyhawke

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (03/23/91)

There is a most wonderful film called "Ladyhawke"; for those who have
not seen it, I'll provide no spoilers, but I do strongly recommend it.

I think that it gives nothing away, however, to note that the film does
indeed deal with a particular hawk.  For those who have seen the film
and who are well-versed in hawk-spotting, I wish to ask the following:

How many different species were employed to play the part of the hawk?

Now, I believe it also gives nothing away to note that the hawk in
question is a redtailed hawk...MOST of the time!  There were a number
of stand-ins that I noticed, these being a peregrine falcon and, in
one scene which must be viewed frame-by-frame, what appears to be a
stuffed and mounted broadwinged hawk.

Has anyone spotted any others?  Please answer by email, so as not to
risk spoiling the plot (or the search) for other folks.

--
Sam Conway                             * "And if you give us any more
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu           * trouble I shall visit you in the

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.190500.9603@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>, dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
> There is a most wonderful film called "Ladyhawke"; for those who have
> not seen it, I'll provide no spoilers, but I do strongly recommend it.

I do also. Good casting as well (Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer).

I suspect it bombed because of the trashy publicity poster - it just made
it look like some D&D-inspired wizards and magic film, which is a great
shame.

Good soundtrack as well: Alan Parsons.

As to the hawks - sorry, I'm ignorant...

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

srohatgi@acsu.buffalo.edu (samir rohatgi) (03/28/91)

In article <8187@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:

>I suspect it bombed because of the trashy publicity poster - it just made
>it look like some D&D-inspired wizards and magic film, which is a great
>shame.

I wonder how much this might also have had to do with the casting of
Mathew Broderick. While, I enjoyed the movie I was never comfortable
with the casting of Broderick. I must add that this is nothing against
Broderick whose 'Wargames', 'Ferris Beuller...' and especially
'The Freshman' I really enjoyed.

Samir

"Life, don't talk to me about life" - Marvin, the paranoid android.

broimola@abo.fi (03/29/91)

In article <8187@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk>, nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:

> Good soundtrack as well: Alan Parsons.

The soudtrack is awfull! And it's NOT by Alan Parsons, it's only produced by AP
or something like that.

-Ben-

WHO  = Ben Roimola
WHAT = Geology at Abo Akademi University, FINLAND
HOW  = Internet: BROIMOLA@abo.fi   Earn/Bitnet: BROIMOLA@finabo
WHY  = *** Living in the gap between past and future. ***

meep@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEEP) (04/01/91)

In article <8187@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:
>In article <1991Mar22.190500.9603@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>, dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
>> There is a most wonderful film called "Ladyhawke"; for those who have
>> not seen it, I'll provide no spoilers, but I do strongly recommend it.
>
>I do also. Good casting as well (Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer).

I'll join in here...this is an EXCELLENT movie.  The production values and cast
and ... well, everything (with one notable exception, below) are lovely.

>I suspect it bombed because of the trashy publicity poster - it just made
>it look like some D&D-inspired wizards and magic film, which is a great
>shame.
>
>Good soundtrack as well: Alan Parsons.

This is my one complaint.  The slow, moody pieces are fine, but the "action"
music is (IMHO) pretty awful ... it nearly ruins the mood for me and I have to
concentrate hard to ignore it.

>As to the hawks - sorry, I'm ignorant...
>
>Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.

doug
__

LIFE IS BUT A DREAM  |  I MAY TAP YOU ON THE SHOULDER      |  douglas s. bailey
LIFE IS BUT A DREAM  |  AND WHISPER `GO' IN RED            |  meep@wpi.wpi.edu
LIFE IS BUT A DREAM  |  STRIP YOUR FEET OF LEAD MY FRIEND  |  This is the famed
LIFE IS BUT A DREAM  |  STRIP YOUR FEET OF LEAD            |  rotary .sig file.
--

mattd@lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Matthew Deshon) (04/04/91)

broimola@abo.fi writes:

>In article <8187@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk>, nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>>
>> Good soundtrack as well: Alan Parsons.
>>

>The soudtrack is awfull! And it's NOT by Alan Parsons, it's only produced by AP
>or something like that.

The soundtrack is actually by Andrew Powell, who is a good buddy of Alan
Parsons, and is a member of the Project ( when he feels like it ).

I thought it was fabulous.

>-Ben-

matt

| Matt Deshon	  				"Dreaming of the tenderness,  |
| Centre for Language Teaching and Research      the tremble in the hips,     |
| University of Queensland			 of kissing Mary's lips."     |
| email : mattd@lingua.cltr.uq.oz.au			- Peter Gabriel       |