[net.space] Comparison between Challanger-seven and Pearl Harbor et al

REM@IMSSS (Robert Elton Maas, this host known locally only) (01/30/86)

Today on the news a comparison was made between the loss of the
Challanger and other disasters of the past which affected people
intensely: Hindenburg, Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt's death, Kennedy
assassination. I would like to offer some rebuttal to the apparent
claim that all five are of equal impact.

Only Pearl Harbor involved great loss of life, Challenger was only 7,
Roosevelt&Kennedy were one each (and Roosevelt was no surprise, he had
been sick for a long time), Hindenburg deaths were mostly due to
jumping because low-pressure hydrogen in air burns at a low
temperature and if they hadn't panicked they would mostly have
survived. Pearl harbor was 3 years before I was conceived, but from
hearing about it second hand I'd rank it in terms of human loss as a
much greater sudden disaster for the US than anything else in the
list. The newscasters who were emphasizing human loss had no right to
compare the explosion of the Challanger to Pearl Harbor as they did
without mentionning the orders of magnitude difference in human life.
Furthermore, if they care about human lives, hundreds of civilians die
each year from airplane crashes, and hundreds die each week from
automobile crashes. If anyone considers STS not safe enough for
civilians, how about banning civilians from airlines and cars until
they can be made safe??

Now consider the special people who died. One popular civilian died,
but then Rickey Nelson died a month ago and he was popular too. Why
wasn't Rickey Nelson or John Lennon compared to Christa McAuliffe,
instead of our presidents (Roosevelt/Kennedy)? Since all are primarily
media people rather than functional units of our government, I think
that kind of comparison would have been more appropriate. When Kennedy
was shot I was worried that Cuba had paid the assassin and we'd go to
world war over it. With the schoolteacher in Challanger, there was no
such worry, just one more sadness over a liked person dying
unexpectedly like John Lennon or Sam Cooke (singer died in barroom
fight) or Johnny Horton (singer died in plane crash).

But where I see the explosion of the challanger as being more
significant is in capability lost. Here the comparison to Pearl Harbor
is valid. The attack on Pearl Harbor didn't just kill hundreds of
staff aboard the sunk ships and on land, but mostly wiped out our
military capability in the whole Pacific ocean. Fortunately one major
part of our fleet wasn't there and didn't get lost, or we might have
ended up being invaded by Japan during the war. But it was a really
major military capability lost unmatched in all our other national
disasters. The explosion of the Challanger has destroyed a major
fraction of our manned space capability, a very important satellite
for our space program, and cast doubt on our safety which will
probably cause some companies to retract their reservations. Also
there's bound to be a several-month delay. Because we have no unmanned
launch capability (almost whatsoever; just a few recycled ICBMs and
plans to build some new Titans or somesuch, but absolutely nothing in
production currently), our whole space program is stopped for as many
months as it takes to debug STS, and slowed by a quarter for at least
five years it takes to replace the lost spacecraft. Either the loss of
our Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor or the loss of our space capability
this week is much more serious than the mere loss of important or
loved individual people, in terms of overall national capability. It's
faster and cheaper to train LBJohnson to be President or some new
schoolteacher to fly in space, than it is to replace Challanger and TDRS-B.

Yes, everytime somebody we know and care about dies it's sad, but TV
news are comparing apples and oranges on the basis of their use as
baseballs and ignoring their nutritional content or flavor. I think
that by treating only the human-death aspect, but by comparing Pearl
Harbor and Challenger-Seven as co-equals, ignoring automobiles etc.,
and televising interviews of children who are upset, they are creating
a "media event" that greatly exaggerates the human-loss that occurred
and unfairly casts a bad light on the manned space program.

(editorial by REM)

P.s. I'm thinking of writing a letter to the editor saying that if
anyone considers stopping the space program because 7 died trying to
get to space, or not allowing civilian passengers, then certainly the
same argument applies moreso to commercial airlines and private
automobiles and cigarettes, all of which kill vastly more people on a
regular basis. I wonder how harsh or cynical I can get by with without
being counterproductive.

BC> Date:       Tue, 28 Jan 86 16:07:01 EST
BC> From: "Bob Czech" <939@NJIT-EIES.MAILNET>
BC> Subject:    The Press parasites

BC>      It's been about 4 hours since the Challenger blew up and the
BC> most disgusting aspect of this whole accident is the way the press
BC> has handled it.  This is usually the problem that most people find
BC> with great tragedies.  Nothing bothered us more here at CCCC more
BC> than the way that ABC, descretely (said in REAL sarcasm), enabled
BC> us to view the teacher's parents as the Challenger ascended and
BC> then after the explosion.  It's one thing to drag out an apparent
BC> accident, but another to feed and use upon human emotions as they
BC> did.

They did the same with Three-Mile-Island which involved no loss of
life at all (except due to cancer caused by coal that replaced TMI).
I agree with your derogatory opinion of that aspect of TV coverage.
It was, however, encouraging to hear interviews with several people
who compared this to the expedition lost at the South Pole and on
Everest, and Madam Curie getting leukemia for her work with Radium,
etc. I thought that part was really good. Too bad they have so much
crap the rest of the time.

By the way, did anyone on this list happen to see the launch&explosion
live (in person, not on TV feed)?

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (01/31/86)

In article <8601301631.AA04783@s1-b.arpa> REM%IMSSS@SU-SCORE.ARPA writes:
>Today on the news a comparison was made between the loss of the
>Challanger and other disasters of the past which affected people
>intensely: Hindenburg, Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt's death, Kennedy
>assassination. I would like to offer some rebuttal to the apparent
>claim that all five are of equal impact.
>
>Only Pearl Harbor involved great loss of life, Challenger was only 7,
>Roosevelt&Kennedy were one each (and Roosevelt was no surprise, he had
>been sick for a long time), Hindenburg deaths were mostly due to
>jumping because low-pressure hydrogen in air burns at a low
>[etc etc including comparisons with traffic fatalities, popular singers,
>more detailed comparison with Pearl Harbor, and more media bashing]

The media rushes into a news vacuum, and you now rebroadcast the same vacuum?

Please, please, don't even bother.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720