[net.space] Challenger

ivy@aicchi.UUCP (Iverson) (01/28/86)

The television news couldn't possibly be kidding about the detonation of
space shuttle Challenger and loss of all 7 aboard ... could they?

One solid fueled engine clearly flew on by itself. They filmed that.
Two contrails extended from the fireball. Did both boosters fly on?

What in the main fuel tank could burn white? Hydrogen burns blue. Did
the camara saturate with the brightness?

Does anybody on the .net have more information than network television?

jimb@ISM780.UUCP (01/29/86)

	I'm still in deep shock, numb.  I don't see how anybody who shared
the dream cannot be in deep pain.  Me?  I'm just going ahead and breaking
into tears every few hours.  But beyond that, this is going to be a hard time
for the space program, already under budget pressues as eugene and others
have mentioned.

	If you love the space program, if you want the space program to be a
memorial to the CHALLENGER and her crew and not the other way around, do
something.  Write.  Write every goddammed letters-to-the-editor column and
political person of import that you can think of.  For the pols, write
ESPECIALLY if you have no economic interest in the space program.  Idealism
baffles the pols (I've worked on both Senate and House staffs), but if
there's enough of it, they finally shake their heads and conclude that it IS
the will of the people.

	Write in your own words, from both the heart and the mind.  Xerox
letter campaigns are discounted by both newspapers and politicos.

	Following is the text of a letter that I sent to a number of places.
I've been reading net.space for months and never had anything that I thought
worth contributing.  My apologies to any who are offended by the length of
this posting or the emotional content, but damn it, this is important.

*******

	When the first lung-fish crawled out of the sea and lay gasping on
the land, many died and many returned to the sea.  When our first half-human
ancestors looked out from the forests and left the safety of the trees for
the unknown savannah, there was danger.  When ancient mariners first began to
sail their fragile ships beyond te sght of shore and into the unknown, there
were risks and losses.

	When mankind began to erect cties that offered greater comfort and
security, and when they raised the great cathedrals to celebrate the greater
glory of God, lives were lost in the quarrys and on the scaffolds.  When
scientists such as Walter Reed first began to confront the mysteries and
uncertainties of contagious diseases in the search for a cure, many succumbed
to the ailments they studied, a price for advancing the knowledge of mankind.

	In any large-scale human endeavor that has worked to the benefit of
mankind, there has been pain and sacrifice and loss.  We stand ow at one of
the pivotal points in history.  We can say "no" to the unknown mysteries of
space, turn our backs, and announce our decline as a civilization.  Or we can
look at the stars, express our grief at the loss of the CHALLENGER and its
crew, and then honor their lives by saying, "We shall continue."

********

			-- Jim Brunet

			   ihnp4/ima/ism780B

aiz@JPL-VLSI.ARPA (01/29/86)

I can't minimize the sense of loss with respect to the Challenger disaster.
It was a tragedy for the people involved, the families, the school children,
and the National Space Program.

But with respect to the comments on the press, it is interesting to note that
most programming was inturrupted for most of the day on the loss of 7 people.
Yet when a jumbo jet crashes with the loss of 300, we get a few bulletins and
first mention on the 6 o'clock news.   It reminds of what Mr. Spock said in
one of the Star Trek episodes (to paraphrase): "You humans are strange.  You
can mourn the loss of a single person, but you cannot feel the death of
millions."

Art Zygielbaum

"If we die, we want people to accept it.  We're in a risky business, and we
hope if anything happens to us, it will not delay the program.  The conquest
of space is worth the risk of life."

					Virgil I. Grissom
					commander, Apollo 1
					speaking a few weeks before his
					death in the Apollo fire
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (01/30/86)

In article <663@aicchi.UUCP> ivy@aicchi.UUCP (Iverson) writes:

>One solid fueled engine clearly flew on by itself. They filmed that.
>Two contrails extended from the fireball. Did both boosters fly on?

Yes, both flew on.  Range Safety had to destroy them, since they were headed
toward a populated area.  This is unfortunate: had the boosters survived, they
might have given some clues as to why the orbiter/external tank blew up.
--
John Allred
General Computer Company

dusty@amiga.UUCP (Dusty [snake] Bleher) (01/31/86)

In article <663@aicchi.UUCP> ivy@aicchi.UUCP (Iverson) writes:
>The television news couldn't possibly be kidding about the detonation of
>space shuttle Challenger and loss of all 7 aboard ... could they?
..regretfully true!

>One solid fueled engine clearly flew on by itself. They filmed that.
>Two contrails extended from the fireball. Did both boosters fly on?
..yes, until destroyed by the RSO about 20 seconds later

>What in the main fuel tank could burn white? Hydrogen burns blue. Did
>the camara saturate with the brightness?
..Correct, in an "air" environment H2 burns with a nearly colorless flame.
However combined with high quantity/quality O2, it releases a great deal
of energy, and being a (nearly) "perfect fuel" its only combustion by
products are, humble water vapor (2 H + 1 O = H2O).  When the effects of
decompression cooling, altitude, and a handful of other factors are
accounted for, we're left with perhaps...ice crystals.

>Does anybody on the .net have more information than network television?

Dusty