[alt.callahans] Lyrics, 1990

harveyp@ferrari.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) (01/18/90)

I've been reading callahans for a while, it seems pretty decent.  After an
unusually introspective xmas following numerous problems regarding soul mates
etc. during 4Q89 I chanced to listen more closely to a particular Jimmy Buffet
song and thought the lyrics might be appropriate. (I heard it in a Scottsdale
bar which has Callahanish characteritics):

Yesterday's over my shoulder
So I can't look backward too long
There's just too much to see
Waiting in front of me
And I know that I just can't go wrong

I occasionally write strange poetry of this nature and if I get over being
embarassed about it and anyone wants to see it I might post some of it...

ejalbert@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Edmund Jason Albert) (01/19/90)

In article <4818cdfe.1faaa@ferrari.UUCP> harveyp@ferrari.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) writes:
>I've been reading callahans for a while, it seems pretty decent.  After an
>unusually introspective xmas following numerous problems regarding soul mates
>etc. during 4Q89 I chanced to listen more closely to a particular Jimmy Buffet
>song and thought the lyrics might be appropriate. (I heard it in a Scottsdale
>bar which has Callahanish characteritics):

>Yesterday's over my shoulder
>So I can't look backward too long
>There's just too much to see
>Waiting in front of me
>And I know that I just can't go wrong

Don't leave us in suspense!  Which Jimmy Buffet song?

This guy is turning up all over the place.  First I come to college this
year and half the people on my floor play "Cheeseburger in Paradise"
constantly.  Then I go home and find that my former girlfriend received
a Jimmy Buffet tape for Christmas.  Upon asking who that was, I made the
connection to the song.  Then I walk in a bookstore and find that he has
a bestselling book!

This all has a question behind it:  Jimmy Buffet has put out 22 albums,
but only 6 made the Top 40 album chart, from 1975 to 1982.  So how do
all my college friends know about him, since the only song which got any
significant airplay was "Margaritaville" in 1978.  Or phrased another
way, how does musical socialization take place?

Mike, a margarita of course.

To Margaritaville, may we all meet there someday.

The Geologist (who likes any singer who's backup band is called the
Coral Reefers!)

daq@hpfcso.HP.COM (Doug Quarnstrom) (01/19/90)

>Yesterday's over my shoulder
>So I can't look backward too long
>There's just too much to see
>Waiting in front of me
>And I know that I just can't go wrong

>I occasionally write strange poetry of this nature and if I get over being
>embarassed about it and anyone wants to see it I might post some of it...

Like the Nike commercial says, "Just do it."

Cynic